Wifi connection drops when Xbox linked to laptop

cojo

OSNN Newbie
I have an XBox hooked up to the homes Wifi connection using a bridging connection through a laptop - every ten minutes or even less - this connection drops. When the connection is made direct to the wifi router with an ethernet cable the connection remains stable for the duration of any session.
My suspicions are that something is running in the background on the laptop, but I cant find it, that may be doing some sort of check on the pc itself or its connectivity. Perhaps even sending it to sleep in some odd way. Have any of you any clues what I might check for on the laptop to ascertain what activity may be happening on a cyclic basis which would suddenly terminate the link ?

Many thanks

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Power conservation software. Shut down all power saving features if you can. Especially the HD. Laptops are set up to conserve power not to be doing server type jobs.

dubstar

format c:
yeah, agree with LeeJend.

click on your ethernet icon and tell it not to "sleep" or whatever.

additionally, if you're using wifi on the laptop and connecting to the ethernet port, you've already got "internet sharing" going on. Good. I had that problem where I would plug in ethernet to share and it would turn off the wifi automatically... sharing saved me. :)

cojo

OSNN Newbie
Hi guys

Thank you for your words of advice. I'd appreciate it if you can be a little more specific with what you are saying. The suggestions make sense but can you guide me a little closer to how to make the changes you suggest - many thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nodee