why do some pages not load from cache?

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
check for newer pages being set to "automaticlly, why is it some pages load from cache on the back button and some have to get the information again?

is there something in a url that will tell the browser to always get content anew ?

Last edited:

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
The browser may not think there is a newer version available.

Force refresh: CTRL+F5

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
I don't want refresh, when I use the back button I want the page loaded from cache, if I want new content I can refresh

some pages load anew even when there is no new content, I know I can set the browser to never get a new page, but I'm wondering why some do and some don't

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
I misunderstood. I would assume it depends whether the page is dynamic.

yalooze

OSNN Addict
I assume you're using Internet Explorer?

Probably not the answer you're looking for but Opera has a great caching system. By default whenever you press the back button it grabs the page straight from the cache which makes surfing feel a whole lot faster.

I really don't see the point of re-downloading a page when you've just been on it and this is one of the features that I really love about Opera.

Unsure what Firefox is like in this regard, perhaps someone that uses it regularly could give you more information.

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
ya, I still use ie...I've tried my best to migrate to another browser but for me is is I still the way to go..however whenever I clean a customers box I make sure they use firefox from that point forward, so let's not get into a "which browser is better" debate

I have opera, don't care for it much at all, I like firefox better, I will be probably migrating to firefox soon enough, I'm holidng out for the finnished version if ie7 before I decide...if it has everything I need when it's done, I won't be loading a seperate browser if I can avoid doing it

anyway, is this "always get new" something in the way the url or page is written?

Last edited:

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
Sorry, I just woke up. I thought you said the back button was not working.

After reading it, I see that you're problem is that IE reloads pages by pressing the back button. That happens in Firefox too, and I don't know why it happens.

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
I think it's something in the way the page is written, like there's always new content or something

what tells the browser there is new content and to refresh the page when the get new page in tools is set to automatic?

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
our porthole pulls in data from feeds doesn't it?

the back button seems bring up that from cache

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
This site pulls data in from mySQL databases. That site pulls data in from several different news organization's feed.

some pages force browsers and proxy caches not to cache them, mostly dynamic pages or regularly updated static pages.

It was never up to the end user what got cached and what didnt. It never should be.

X-Istence

Political User
That site Perris is doing absolutely nothing wrong, they want you to reload their pages, that way you can retrieve new content since you last visited, also, since they have content that changes very often, there is a need for you to get the new page, so you don't view old pages.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nasty12