Why did my Network crash? MrxSMb #8003

D

drdoug26

Hi all,

My office network was knocked out of action today for about an hour. For some reason one of my XP Pro workstations 'THREE' sent a 'server announcement' over the network thinking it(workstation 'three') was the 'Master Browser? My Win2k Server should be the master browser! thinks were running so smooth too!!! errgggg!!!

Here is the System log entry from my win2k Server: (MrxSmb - event 8003) "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer THREE that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NeBT_Tcpip_{F86F96321-C90E-49DB-99A}. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced."

My staff said all of the sudden the network just went down all at once. NOBODY WAS EVEN WORKING ON WORKSTATION "THREE" which appears to be the culprit??

My server is isolated from the workstations and runs off a different hub which is 'uplinked' to the main hub. I originally thought that the server’s hub went out cause initially all the workstations could see each other (but not connect to each other) but I could not see/ping the server from any of the workstations. When I got on the server, I could not see/ping any of the work stations. A simple restart of the server did NOT work.

I had to physically shut off all workstations, the server, and even unplug the power supply to the hubs, and then start things up in order: Server, Client "one", "two" etc. Finally I was back up.

Any ideas why workstation 'THREE' sent out such a message? How do I prevent this from happening again? I done a google search and found only a few articles on this type of error.

Any Help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug G.

Heres my network setup.

5 Clients all running WinXP pro, Domain: Chiro
* Static IP’s assigned to all clients and all client DNS’s are pointed towards the SERVERS DNS/IP
-IP: 192.168.1.10 – 15
-Gate: 192.168.1.1
-Mask: 255.255.255.0

1 Server running Win2000 Server (sp3)
* Static IP’s (DHCP NOT installed)
-IP 192.168.1.26
-Mask: 255.255.255.0
-Gate: 192.168.1.1
-DNS: 192.168.1.26
•Domain Controller with Forwarders set to ISP’s DNS numbers (63.255.254.xxx)
•Services installed: DNS (that’s it) (other than: TCP/IP, File&Print sharing, and Clients for MS networks)
• DNS (chiro.local)Note: I do not have a web domain name:

1 Netopia Router – serving up DSL
IP: public (63.139.0.xxx)
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gate:63.139.0.xxx (same as the IP)
Primary DNS: 65.80.130.xxx
2ndary DNS: 65.80.131.xxx
Domain Name: megpathdsl.net
rip: 0ff

i looked up your error at www.eventid.net. you should check out the site. click the "search events" item at the top of the page. enter your event id number(8003) and the source(MrxSmb). it gives you a registry fix for your problem. do it on all your machines EXCEPT your server.

hope this helps
oDin.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back