• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

where is the product key?

M

Mike89

Where do you find the Windows XP product key in the registry? I have been looking for it and can't find it. I'm talking about the key you enter when installing, not the productID under the performance tab.

M

Mike89

Hmm. I would sure think it would have to be there somewhere. I had found it in the registry before in Windows 98 but forgot where I found it.

M

Mike89

Oh I believe it now. I searched every possible way to find it in the registry I could.

Like Doofus said, it must have got changed to code.

Hey Doofus, where's my brain, I can't find it? Heh heh

Hipster Doofus. With a name like that, you have got to be one cool dude!

chastity

Staff member
Political User
Well as far as the actual product key is located I don't know. I do know that there is a run command that will get you to the product activition reg file so if for some reason you wanted to deactivited Windows XP you can. So I guess it's sort of where the product key is but it's as Hipster Doofus said its a bunch of numbes. If I would be able to. I would be willing to post the run command here.

chastity

Staff member
Political User
According to the guide I saw, the only thing you should do before modifing the reg entry is set up a system restore point.

2z

OSNN Gamer
I found a little program that can tell you your product key incase you've forgotten it, not that you should, but it does happen.
;)

M

Mike89

Yeah cool program. Only problem for me is when I used it I still came up with the old corp key instead of the new key I had put in awhile back using the already posted instructions.

I followed the instructions to the letter, dunno why the key didn't stick. I guess I will have to try it again. I hope that program is accurate and not for some reason still showing the old one instead of any new one put in.

2z

OSNN Gamer
Thought that proggie was too good to be true, got nothing to check it against - everybody I know uses the same key so its more than likely a fake, worth a try
;)

M

Mike89

I take that back, the program works fine. I just went and re-entered my other key and this time it worked. I musta done something wrong the first time I tried it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown