What text editor do you prefer?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

Well when I'm feeling the need to edit my text manually by using a program, I prefer to use a program called Notepad2. This is a great text document editor that has many different "syntax schemes" that change the colors based on the extension you're editing, which makes for a great thing to be able to see more clearly. Has a lot more advanced features and seems as little as regular notepad, thus the name... though I forget where to get it!

There are a few things though I'm not liking about it. While it has this feature that while editing PHP it does good at showing you where different { and }, or ( and ) ends... but it doesn't show you what tags correspond to what. It would be nice to know where the beginning and closing tags and what corresponds to them are. IE if you have a table inset within a table inset within a table, it'd be nice to know what table closing tag matches up with what table open tag...

So what programs do you guys like to use? Is it strictly for web editing, or does it edit a whole slew of document types?

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Notepad2 as a general text editor and web development.
Visual Studio 2005 Beta as a C++/C# IDE.

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
SPeedY_B said:
Hmm, there are two things that I had neglected to mention that I had forgotten about.

1) I'm a Windows user, not a MAC user, and I had forgotten that a lot of web designers use mac. :)

2) Program isn't free.

Looks good, it would be nice to give it a try, but I know I'm not going to be able to. :/

X-Istence

Political User
Punkrulz said:
Hmm, there are two things that I had neglected to mention that I had forgotten about.

1) I'm a Windows user, not a MAC user, and I had forgotten that a lot of web designers use mac. :)

2) Program isn't free.

Looks good, it would be nice to give it a try, but I know I'm not going to be able to. :/

it is free. It only displays a "Licensed for Non-commercial use" after 2 minutes of in-activity. Which is not annoying or anything. Plus, it is totally worth what they ask for it.

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
You didn't ask for recommendations, just what text editors we use ;)

and its free :p

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Punkrulz said:
*ahem* its Mac, as in Macintosh, not MAC as in Mandatory Access Control ;)

its just a common mistake which I aim to rectify :D

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
http://maguma.com/ used to have a lightweight PHP/CSS/JS/HTML editor, but I havent followed them for quite a while, I stopped using their software when I started using FreeBSD as my desktop OS and when I go Zend Studio I didnt see the point of another IDE, I did like it when I used it though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GastonSing