• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What is this? (I am going crazy)

C

Cannibal Corpse

This error message has ruined my PC experience every singe time that I want to SHUT DOWN or RESET the system:

I have to manually click on CANCEL, then wait another 20 seconds then it finally shuts down.

Even applying SERVICE PACK 1 for XP did NOT help.

Any ideas? (my system specs are listed on my signature file)

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
this happens with you restart or shutdown when your running programs!

What programs are you running when you shutdown? Just turn them off, i dont mean programs like norton antivirs and crap, that stuff is ok!

C

Cannibal Corpse

I have AUDIGY 2 "Volume Control" on my system tray, but I dout it...I will give it a shot though...

J

Jazzhound

Looks like you installed some MCI crap that refuses to go down without a fight. It maybe the application conflicts with Windows when it shuts down, out of sequence in other words.

Try a fresh reboot and go into [ msconfig ] to see if anything resembles this MCI process. I'm willing to bet it's some crap like that. Either uninstall it or remove it via msconfig so it won't happen again.

Do a screen cap of your processes via task manager.

B

Bob S

Pretty fancy system there Cannible Corpse. This looks like something that is starting behind the scenes. Run msconfig and look for this program starting and then disable.

Try this to automatically close non-responding applications on shutdown:

Run Regedit and goto:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

on the right panel find: AutoEndTasks
change the value from 0 to 1

T

Tinker

I would run ** Spybot ** to see if MCI has installed something on your system that reports you computer habits to them. You might be surprised as to what you find.....

:happy:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies