What about his one...

HellyHans

OSNN Addict
I DONT HAVE THIS!!!! WHY ?????? ... :( Snifff snifff

Windows XP keeps a record of all files on the hard disk so when you do a search on the hard drive it is faster. There is a downside to this and because the computer has to index all files, it will slow down normal file commands like open, close, etc. If you do not do a whole lot of searches on your hard drive then I suggest turnning this feature off:

1. Open my computer
2. Right click your hard drive icon and select properties.
3. At the bottom of the window you'll see "Allow indexing service to index this disk for faster searches," uncheck this and click ok.
4. A new window will pop up and select apply to all folders and subfolders. It will take a minute or two for the changes to take affect but then you should enjoy slightly faster performance

Unless you have the indexing service installed it won't apply to you. if you want to see if your index service is installed and running, look under your services in administrative tools.

look to see if indexing service is listed as being started.

I like the index, and I measure the slowdown by dissabling it in nanoseconds

but doesn't that slows the computer down when used in slower machines?

ya, I guess if you don't have alot of resources in your box, you best dissable it, but don't just assume it's that much faster, experiment for yourself

Right...

Yeah so its more a question of PC power.. I think my Comp is fast enough..lol

So.. I guess installing it won't really be a real "improvement" right?

And anyways.. isnt just good for searching?

it's to speed searching, but it'll also give you access information that helps when you need to look at properties

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back