Warner Bros. Picks Blu-Ray Over HD-DVD

Yes and it has an intercooler on the back also.

Be careful with those things. Not sure if the one you have does it, but I remember reading on joystiq how some of these cooling accessories are poorly designed and actually HELP melt the system. :yowch:

mine are plugged to external power sources and the one on the bottom pushes air up and the one in the back draws the air out , heat rises and gets drawn out... its nice and since I do that I have no problems with lockups , I all ready sent back my unit one time for the red circle of death !! I need to find me some sexy looking coolers now for the PS3 !

It is a shame that the better quality and finished spec product is being dumped in favor of a still-not-finalized and inferior "standard" :(

This is very different from the VHS/Betamax battle because there, the lower priced item won. Here, the worse, more expensive product is winning because the parent is paying off the studios.

There are other delivery mechanisms out there, i.e. online, that are superior and more user friendly than actual discs. That industry will not have the final say on this war.

well I'm still on the fence but had a chance to get a ps3 (free actually) and I had planned on getting one at some point (FFXIII) so I have the ps3 and at some point if HD DVD sticks around I will go for that as well. But for now I'll still use DVDs (upconversion in ps3) and only get Blu-Ray for worthy movies (Planet Earth, Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy, etc, LOTR when it comes out)

Actually Toshiba is trying to flood the market to save thier format, since Warner is going to Blu-Ray only. Also I read that Blu-Ray as been out selling HD-DVD since last year.

Throughout 2007, Blu-ray Disc sales have consistently outsold HD DVD by a factor of around double; but starting the week coinciding with CES 2008 up to January 13, those numbers shifted noticeably further in Blu-ray Disc’s favor.

According to numbers from Nielsen, reported by Home Media Magazine, Blu-ray Disc sales were 85 percent of the high-definition split. The 85/15 split between the two rival formats represented the largest gulf yet, according historical data charted in the High-Def Digest forums.

Source
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10385

Yo Tuff you gotta rent a Blu Ray man they are really great looking, I was floored by the depth and clairity on my HD tv .

I've purchased Planet Earth and the Pirates Trilogy. It also comes with Spidey 3 and with my 1080P 50 incher I'm excited, but as I said in the other ps3 thread I won't be getting it for at least a week, because the person who got it for me is out of town and purchased it there.

It is a shame that the better quality and finished spec product is being dumped in favor of a still-not-finalized and inferior "standard" :(
Well said ... :D

The studios that are jumping ship are doing so no doubt in part because of the DRM Sony has put into Blu-Ray ... I just can't wait till it bites them all in the ass (you know it will). Oh well, eventually I'm sure both of these formats will be an asterix in the "HD format war" section of history when replaced by a REAL standard. :)

anydvd claims to have cracked the first lot of blue ray drm, that's why they are moving on to v1.1 of it, they claim its too add new features which i think is crap - they could have had it all in place before they launched

The Blu-Ray spec that anydvd is claiming to have cracked is BD+. I have read reports that the true cracking of the newest spec BD+ has not really been accomplished and some reports that it has been cracked.

The big plus on the side of BD right now is region coding and BD+. HDDVD has no region coding which consumers love but studios hate, and BD+ seems to be a bit more more resilient than some people think. The studios will pay more for region coding and BD+.

Either way, I wasn't swayed into buying the ps3 because of Blu_ray but if I got it, I might as well use it. It's the least risky way of getting into high def. I know I will be playing games on it...(MSG4 and FFXIII) and it's really upgradeable. The firmware and software can update better than any other BD player out there and will probably support all specs going forward of BD.

The Blu-Ray spec that anydvd is claiming to have cracked is BD+. I have read reports that the true cracking of the newest spec BD+ has not really been accomplished and some reports that it has been cracked.

The big plus on the side of BD right now is region coding and BD+. HDDVD has no region coding which consumers love but studios hate, and BD+ seems to be a bit more more resilient than some people think. The studios will pay more for region coding and BD+.

Either way, I wasn't swayed into buying the ps3 because of Blu_ray but if I got it, I might as well use it. It's the least risky way of getting into high def. I know I will be playing games on it...(MSG4 and FFXIII) and it's really upgradeable. The firmware and software can update better than any other BD player out there and will probably support all specs going forward of BD.

Exactly there is no danger having a PS3 you get cool gameing and a great BR player ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back