Volume shrinking in Vista premium

gkgm

OSNN One Post Wonder
Hey Guyz Thax in advance !!!

I have just purchased HP Pavilion dv2700 Entertainment Notebook PC. It has 250GB of HDD & has only 2 partitions
C:\> SYSTEM
D:\> HP Recovery Partition

It has about 180 gb size in C: so what I wanted to do is to have 4 more partitions in it. And I wanna it without having data loss and without altering the boot time default HP restore manager which is done by pressing F11 key. Pls help me guys ...

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
HP does have an option to backup the recovery stuff to disc, I would recommend doing so before proceeding. Things happen and you don't want to loose that recovery data.

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Ditto what Michael said. Burn a backup disk first from the recovery partition.

I repartitioned my laptop so I could install XP and Linux for multi-boot and I do not rememebr having to go to much work to do it. Not near as much effort as the link above talks about.

There is a free linux based partition management tool called Gnome Partiton Editor (aka Gparted Live CD) that I used. I split the 80 gig C: drive ending up with a C: and E: at around 40 gig each (plus the recovery partition). You can make more than 1 new partition out of the freed up space.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

You can then set up to run multi boot or just use the second (3rd, 4th, etc) partions for data.

Note You do not need to boot from a Vista CD. I did not. Just boot vista after you run the Gparted resize and go into the VISTA disk management to set up the new partition(s) using the space Gparted made available.

Michael84

OSNN Newbie
Gkgm, some soft in this area that could be useful to you. I'm not sure about partitions but due to it you can manage you disks and space on it. Disk space management
And it seems to be free...

Natalyah44

OSNN One Post Wonder

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nodee