Vista crashes all the time

well..... seeing as i was able to install Vista and kinda run it with my SLI'd 7900GT setup prior to upgrading to the 8800GTX.... i'm assuming that it IS the video card that's giving me all the problems during the install.

you got sli working with those 7900Gts? I took out my second card cause I thought vista wouldn't handle it, so ya think i can put it back in?

don't remember when they said SLI support would come for the 7-series.... forget if they said that it was in the latest drivers, or not till next month's. Don't remember having SLI working, just know that i was able to get Vista running on the 7900GT's.

And i got vista running on my 8800GTX too now..... and runs quite stable, hasn't really crashed on me. just had to enable IDE RAID (which is odd since the only IDE devices i have are my optical drives).

Since I updated to the new drivers.. It seems stable. I think my X-Fi drivers might have a little to do with it also. I've owned SBLive, Audigy, Audigy2 and X-Fi and this is the first time I've ever experienced the notorious Snap Crackle and Pop on my sound card and a NF4 motherboard.

I am having the same kinds of problems. Two biggest headaches are the flashing bar at the bottom of the screen and the stupid freezing of everything for 10-15 seconds while it does something. Can't even move the cursor during that time.

I bought a nvadia GeForce 7600GS because it was suppose to work with Vista. Two different monitors have the same flashing problem. Should I buy them a trench coat?

Seriously, need someone to tell me how to stop the flashing bar and the freezing.

Norm

I've reinstalled Vista Ultimate 3 times on a brand new Sony Vaio
so no issues with the hardware

but I get daily crashes of Outlook 2007
i cannot print to an HP printer even though the driver was installed automatically by Vista.

Even the Microsoft help desk in India said to me...'wait until SP1 and SP2 come, then it will be fine'.

I expect Steve Jobs is lcking his lips

Just my two cents, but my BSOD's (KERNEL_IN_PAGE_FAULT of something similar) went away after un-installing nForce SATA controller driver and using old Windows XP drivers from MSI (mobo manufacturer)...

Hope that may help someone...

I think Vista Ultimate is a pile of poo.

The 'entertainment centre' has disappeared and didn't work well anyway.

I can't get into my control panel without it crashing. My printer port to HP 2410 which is alledgedly Vista compliant doesnt work.

Yet another bloody experiment at my expense!

My wife's new Apple is running like a dream!

damn damn damn!

To resolve your printer issue - follow the steps here, substitute your HP for the Samsung mentioned in the article. Trick is to share the printer from an XP box in this case - which may not be your current configuration.

I expect Steve Jobs is lcking his lips

No, he's listening to his IPOD - DRM free.

I think Vista Ultimate is a pile of poo.

Do us all a favor and go get a MAC, they are built for users just like you. It took us weeks, but we have all kinds of software now working properly with Vista. We are simply testing it, home and work are dual booting.... but I will not go into 'Production' with Vista until 2008, maybe 9 depending on driver releases, and as mentioned in thread, stability. I'm sure it's been echoed in this forum, I havn't had as much time to peruse the threads lately, but please people, keep in mind Vista is a WIP - in no way should anybody be depending completely on it. Hell I have a Knoppix CD at my side, havn't needed it since SP2 was released ... but just in case. No OS is completely infallible

Only thing not working - microphone - looks like a driver issue - we don't want to tinker with the driver settings at this time, don't know enough about it. We can hear our teammates yelling at us in BF2 - but we can't talk back :( heheheheh

To quiet down the MAC fanboys - I do love my IPOD. It's awesome. 25 hours of playback ... right on.

Last edited:
Just an fyi to everyone, the issues are NOT Vista related :cool:

I just want to make it absolutely clear. :)

Vista is far from perfect and certainly has some bugs that need to be ironed out but the other issues are driver related and application related, NOT Vista. Even if Vista automatically installs a driver, it is typically a pretty generic driver setup submitted by the vendor and designed to operate their products. It does not mean that Vista itself is at fault.

Hereward, if Apple's o/s had even half as many peripherals that needed to work with it as Windows does, believe me, Steve Jobs ad's would be a whole lot more different :smoker:

Sazar is comopletely correct. Vista runs quite well on my computer now, but in no way do i use it as a primary OS. i've been dual booting since the beta stages, and some of the beta builds i couldn't even install when i upgraded to an NForce 500 motherboard, because they weren't supported by the builds that came out alongside the NForce 500 boards. The majority of the time.... it seems like all you really have to do to get Vista to run well is adjust your BIOS... having most settings set to their defaults, and only changing what HAS to be changed in order for your computer to boot.

Silly me there was I thinking this was a market ready product!

shucks I'm embarrassed by my naivety

Only problem I've had is in the graphics department, but I'm getting a new one for £30 off overclockers, sound, printers etc. havent been a problem - even my canoscan happily installed on Xp drivers, but my system isnt the most powerful so thats the price I pay

Just an fyi to everyone, the issues are NOT Vista related :cool:

I just want to make it absolutely clear. :)

I see so its all the 3rd party drivers that are somehow preventing me to access the control panel without it crashing?

is this software written by ostriches perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course you would think that the product was market ready , but it is not and that is Microsofts fault, but some people will never say that .

I see so its all the 3rd party drivers that are somehow preventing me to access the control panel without it crashing?
Actually, I'm pretty sure it is. Not necessarily drivers. It could be third-party software too. I've seen several cases where people have botched up their XP setups by using shoddy registry cleaners, system optimizers, tweaking tools, and shell extensions.

Vista has its own inherent bugs and trouble spots, but this doesn't sound like one of them, or it would have been a much more widespread issue.

is this software written by ostriches perhaps?

First off, I edited your post to include the close quote tags :cool:

Secondly, all the issues described so far in this thread are attributable to hardware and 3'rd party software. As I said in my previous post, Vista is far from perfect but the issues described are not microsofts fault solely.

The only stupid issue I personally have experienced with Microsoft is the internal activation sequence for blue-tooth modules in notebooks vis-a-vis wireless, blue-tooth devices. The blue-tooth module will NOT activate untill you enter the UE of Vista, unlike in XP. Not sure where the issue is but it's a known issue and quite idiotic.

It affects people who have their notebooks docked and are using wireless peripherals to connect. However, it doesn't cause system crashes or other issues besides inconvenience.

Wrt Vista crashing when you enter your Control Panel, I don't know why it does that. I haven't heard of anyone else having an issue like that before buddy. I am presuming it is an issue with the hardware being used. Keep in mind, even with Vista certified hard-ware, a lot of system integrator's systems STILL have issues with Vista because of their choice of software used in their imaging.

Hereward.... seriously... TRY resetting your BIOS settings to defaults and only changing the necessities to have your computer boot. worked quite well for me. At one point i couldn't even get to the desktop without my computer getting a BSOD... sometimes blue screening during the install. changed my BIOS settings back to pretty close to the factory defaults... installed the first try. Then i had trouble with nvdisp.dll crashing every 30 seconds... but that was just a driver issue that was completely cleared up by reinstalling and just using the drivers that are on the NVidia website... not the beta ones you can find here.

Everyone knows at this point that Vista is REALLY picky.... and can't stress that enough. If you installed Vista on your computer a single time and it's crashing whenever you try to load the control panel... and you haven't really tried anything else.... then don't complain about Vista until you've tried EVERYTHING!

My wife's new Apple is running like a dream!

Yeah, until your logic board dies within a year, and you have to keep replacing it over and over. Then you move onto the burning power supply, and then after your applecare warranty is over, your logic board will die again, and it's a $600-$1200 purchase depending on your system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back