1) Assuming your system directory is c:\windows\system32 go into the
directory c:\windows\system32\dllcache. This directory may be hidden.
If it is, you need to unhide it to see it, or use the command prompt.
2) Rename the uxtheme.dll file in dllcache to uxtheme.bak (or some other
3) Rename any uxtheme.dl_ or uxtheme.dll that might be found in other
locations on your system such as c:\i386 or the place where you
installed Windows(r) XP from.
4) Make sure you have NO CDs in your system (especially the Windows(r) XP
5) Assuming your system directory is c:\windows\system32 go into the
directory c:\windows\system32. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.bak or
some other name. Copy uxtheme.pat to uxtheme.dll.
6) You might get a warning from Windows System File Protection. You need
to answer the two questions properly, and on your own volition to
ensure that the uxtheme.dll file is not replaced with the original.
7) If all goes well, the uxtheme.dll will be the same DATE and TIME as
the uxtheme.pat. If this is the case, REBOOT. Do not logoff, you need
a full reboot
this tip i get it from a website or forum, cant remember ijust copy/paste in notepad.....it works for me