Unstable 3200

Please people, lets not jump to conclusions about faulty hardware.

OK, heres what to do

1) Up your CPU voltage to 1.75 or even 1.8, trust me it will be OK. The reason why it is now stable in XP is because you have just gave it enough juice for that, but when you try to play games its not stable enough for it. Some boards, e.g the Abit N7F have a tendency to undervolt and does NOT give you what it says in the BIOS.

2) Up your AGP voltage to 1.8v, why? Becuase i have read so many threads about people having problems with these boards at the default 1.6V they need a little more juice to get going.

Let me know.

And tell us what Motherboard and Memory you have as well as the manufacturer of your 9800XT, some manufacturers have had problems with intel boards, although admittedly i havent heard any issued with AMD based boards. IF you still have the problem.

And PLEASE people do NOT go off doing this thinking it will fix the odd random crash - it wont.

I did set my AGP voltage to 1.7v (highest it goes on my board).
By the way my card is the Hercules 256mb 9800XT Classic.
Yes my motherboard is set-up for 8x.
I might rollback the drivers to 3.9, my 9700 pro seemed to work well with
those so I'll give them a go.

the fact that you have to overvolt the AGP and CPU should point to the PSU, what size / make are you running, & do you have a spare ?

you have a power hungry chip, a power hungry viddy cards, a mobo that demands a good pure power supply. and 1gb of ram.

i would say at least a branded 450w for that lot.

if it's a thingy, does that mean its the cheepest you could get ? 1 of those q-tec versions ?

i got through 3 till i got a stable 1 ;)

LocKStocK said:
LoL, well yes it is a q-tec :eek:

well m8, if u wanna keep it then run it overvolted, the agp 1.7 dont effect anything as the viddy card defaults it to 1.5 (better ampage due to overvolt)

as for the cpu, a quarter of a volt aint going to make any diffrence, shouldnt even chenge the cpu temps. but in the quest for stability it can be everything.

unless your prepared to go get a real 550W PSU like a thermaltake or enermax, you have to take notes of the ratings like the 5v amp rating and 12v amp rating over the 550W part, another thing i did was to out the 2 fans in my q-tec and replace with some thermaltake smart fans. i have to admit the heatsinks in q-tec's are not rated to the wattage they pump.

for the price though, considering all i had to do was 1 jump on the overvolt for 100% stability, there a good buy.

i have the 450w, asus & xp2700 and ti4600, 5 hard drives, 3 cd's shedload of fans.

just put the voltages back to there stable voltages m8, all will be ok :)

(and make sure theres a surge protector on the PSU)

??Confused?? - He dosent have a stable volt setting GoNzO.

And where did you read that upping the AGP voltage wont make any difference?

Can you use CPU-z and take some screenshots?

I'll wait till my rig warms up to working temperature before posting some
pics....will screenies from Asus Probe do?

Right, I don't think this problem has anything to do with temperature.
I just booted my computer from cold and played XIII, it hung straight away!
I tried using the catalyst 3.8 that came with the card but still no luck.

Found something out just now...
I can play Halo and Vice City with no lock-ups but nothing else seems to work:(

OK Vice City just crashed my whole system...
I can't understand whats doing this, I played Halo for hours yesterday and
it ran extremely well.
On desktop, it never crashes then either.

Asus PC probe will be Ok if it shows us the voltage setting of your chips.

Did you increace the voltage to your 3200 as i asked? (If so what too?)

Also - do you get a blue screen or does it just go Clunk and restart?

TheBlueRaja said:
??Confused?? -
And where did you read that upping the AGP voltage wont make any difference?

3d mark forums, the card will default it back to 1.5

if you want i can go take screenies at various agp voltages to prove my asus smartdoc will say 1.58v on agp if its on 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 or 1.8 apart from im not prepared to put it on 1.8

if anything all it does is strain the voltage reg on the video card, this may aid in stability during overclocking, but no one can really confirm anything worth noting from doing it.

since my card acted up last week due to prolonged overclocking, i had to jump to 1.6v for stability. i figured it would be hard to RMA until it died all together, so im living with an upped AGP voltage for the time being, hopefully this will burn out the regulator over the next few weeks so the cards wrote off.

Is that only with the XT lines?

I never knew that - in fact I read the opposite, certainly with the 9700 Pro's anyhoo.

no it was a general opinion after a lot of refined search's about the subject. mines nvidia anyhow, a few posts were from ATI users, as i was only refrencing the effects of overvolting the AGP i didn't bother taking note of what card did what.

in my case what they said was right, an increase of ampage at the regulator by overvolting. the on card reading stays the same though. 1.58v

im runnin a 9800xt and my temperature after 3 hours of playing call of duty is 64c so ur 63c is normal i think matey

As I said before, I don't think temperature is the problem :)
My CPU voltage is back to stock now, 1.650.
I bumped my 9800XT up to 1.7v, I read somewhere that 1.78 was
the stock voltage.

TheBlueRaja, it doesn't do anything when it hangs up, it just freezes
whilst in game, no response, no nothing. Then you have to hit the reset button:(

OK, I think I've sorted out the problem.
I've boosted the CPU voltage up to 1.7 (9800XT already on 1.7)
Havn't had a lock up yet....
One question...is putting the voltage up this high safe? I mean, its only half a volt right?
CPU temp in idle - 46'C
CPU during game play - 50'C

yes its only half a volt, if u had an amd heatsink i would tell you to get a decent heatsink, you already have one, so no problem at all. like i said b4, you got a brand of PSU asus do not recommend, your running the latest most power hungry equipment, so a small overvolt is expected to get stability.

Not that I'm floating my own boat here, but i was telling him that from the start.

I would put it up a little bit more too, its obviously undervolting.

Using CPU-z , here , will show what its actually running at and prove the theory.

Can you post a screenie?

Good call on the power supply being the probable issue tho GoNzO.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back