Ubuntu Headphone Problem

N

Not Bman

I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on a new partition. (Unity sucks by the way, went to default Gnome) I want to start using that as my main system, and Windows 7 as my gaming.

Of course I am basically a newbie at Linux but part of doing this is because I want to learn it more.

My first issue, and it's a big issue because the main thing I do is watch movies and TV shows. And because of where I live I need to use headphones most of the time to not annoy other people. Well my headphones do not work.

I found many threads and topics on this but most seem old and are related to laptop issues. I am on a desktop system. I believe its on-board sound, and they are realtek (not sure how its spelt) drivers.

Any ideas, how to get it working. Thanks.

You can download linux drivers at: Realtek

Once there you just need to know if you need HD or ac97 software.

I have an EVGA 780i SLI mobo, is it realtek? All my system says is MCP55 High Definition Audio

Looks like the MCP55 is an Nvidia sound chip. Multiple posts on the Ubuntu site about problems. Still looking for solution. brb

Try the find driver option on this page.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Not looking good for linux support from nvidia.

EVGA site had no linux drivers listed either.

WTF? I can't beleive nvidia not supporting Ubuntu. I must be missing something.
There might be a generic driver in Ubuntu for the Nvidia MCP55 sound.

Also, Ubuntu might resist using proprietary drivers. You have to be sure to select use this vile no GPL driver when asked.

Yea did that, did not do anything.

In the Gnome Mixer it shows Realtek ALC1200, so...

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 208
Well I will go over that post but its all about sound, my sound works, just not the headphones.

Have you tried booting up Ubuntu with the headphones plugged in? (read this worked in several threads that had headphone issues)

Yes I tried that, was how I found out they didn't work. Since then tried booting without them in.

are they usb ones? THey should just work if they plug in to your sound card.

Hmm, they are plugged into the front of the system, didn't think about that.

Let us know what happens when you plug them in directly at the back :) Front audio requires driver support to switch audio paths.

I haven't had time to try that yet, busy. But I did realize that it wouldn't matter, I want to be able to use my speakers as well and that would replace it.

Will let you know anyways.

So plugged them in the back and they don't work. :(

Once plugged in the back I started to play with settings, and now it's working. FINALLY! lol Not perfect but will do.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back