Ubuntu 10.04

Sazar

Rest In Peace
I didn't see a thread on this in here so I figured I'd start one real quick :)

I got around to installing it earlier today on my external HDD and am dual-booting, sort of, with Win 7 and Ubuntu.

Last time I used a build was with Gutsy Gibbon, in it's early days, and it was a lot of work just getting the damn thing to work.

Fortunately, a lot of nice improvements have been made and, my system was mostly ready to go off the bat :D

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Features | Ubuntu

The new graphics card based transition effects are nice and while there is no "Aero" with Lucid Lynx, there are a lot of transparencies all over the place and the look, feel, fit and finish are all pretty awesome.

I am still playing around with the OS as it is a new toy for me :)

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 711
9.10 and now 10.04 have taken the place of my Windows 7 box, haven't even looked back. Seven was such a step backwards that Linux (in this case Ubuntu distro) seems like a giant leap forward. :)

9.10 and now 10.04 have taken the place of my Windows 7 box, haven't even looked back. Seven was such a step backwards that Linux (in this case Ubuntu distro) seems like a giant leap forward. :)

I guess we use our boxes for different things :)

If my system was not a productivity/media/gaming box, I would have no problem residing in Ubuntu all day long. The main thing I love is the multiple desktop environments. That is a great idea that should be used in Windows. Outside of that and speed here and there, I don't see any steps backwards :D

I do game a fair bit and as a result, I have to go back to Win7. For me, it is more a novelty than anything else :)

I would use this or Moblin in a heartbeat on a netbook or portable tablet (I am trying REALLY hard to get a Latitude XT2 as my sub-notebook/tablet :D )

Gaming is really the only thing I haven't tried yet. What would you consider "productivity"? As far as media it'll do what Windows will do.

(Asking these questions because I really want to know, don't take them as flame bait) :)

Games is a big thing for me personally :D

Regarding productivity, I use Office 2010 and Sharepoint for work. I am not going to use Open Office since it simply does not have the functionality I need, nor do I want to learn 2 separate interfaces. I am a big believer in the ribbons of Office and the various productivity aspects of Outlook and Excel compared to what Open Office offers :)

For media, serving data, I can't do the same things I can in Windows because the applications I use do not work unfortunately :(

Watching media is one thing, serving to my phone is another :D

Games is a big thing for me personally :D

Regarding productivity, I use Office 2010 and Sharepoint for work. I am not going to use Open Office since it simply does not have the functionality I need, nor do I want to learn 2 separate interfaces. I am a big believer in the ribbons of Office and the various productivity aspects of Outlook and Excel compared to what Open Office offers :)

For media, serving data, I can't do the same things I can in Windows because the applications I use do not work unfortunately :(

Watching media is one thing, serving to my phone is another :D

Had a feeling you meant office. :) Better you then me, using that stuff (Office or Open Office) makes me kinda sick to the stomach. :dead: Guess I just never got sucked into the MS world as deep.

@Sazar: Start memorising short cuts and neither Ribbon nor the Open Office interface will be required.

then again, I'm a big fan of the keyboard so for me it is simpler to learn a few keystrokes than where everything is by moving the mouse.

BTW, Ribbon's UI makes absolutely no sense and trying to teach people how to use it is a pain in the behind and nothing good has come out of it.

@Sazar: Start memorising short cuts and neither Ribbon nor the Open Office interface will be required.

I use keyboard short-cuts all the time.

then again, I'm a big fan of the keyboard so for me it is simpler to learn a few keystrokes than where everything is by moving the mouse.

BTW, Ribbon's UI makes absolutely no sense and trying to teach people how to use it is a pain in the behind and nothing good has come out of it.

The UI is fantastic. I have no idea what you are on about but the ribbon has made my life a LOT easier than it used to be :)

I used nothing but short-cuts back in the day and now I use a balance of short-cuts and the ribbon :)

This actually replaced Opensuse10.3 on my workstation at the office. 10.3 is starting to get long in the tooth.

I just am having a crazy time with the window controls on the left, though. To think that I would be getting used to it by now.

Think I might just give Debian5 a two week whirl, maybe before settling in with Ubuntu.

Heeter

Last edited:
This actually replaced Opensuse10.3 on my workstation at the office. 10.3 is starting to get long in the tooth.

I just am having a crazy time with the window controls on the left, though. To think that I would be getting used to it by now.

Think I might just give Debian5 a two week whirl, maybe before settling in with Ubuntu.

Heeter

I have to agree.

I absolutely detest the left oriented max/min/close buttons.

How moronic :(

I have to agree.

I absolutely detest the left oriented max/min/close buttons.

I absolutely detest the right oriented max/min/close buttons.

See what I did there?

Personally I don't care what side it is on, as long as there are shortcut keys I can easily hit with my left hand to do the basic things I need to do, such as close a tab in a window, close a window, and whatnot. Luckily for most of those things ctrl + q closes an application and ctrl + w closes a tab in a window. Or on Mac OS X ? + q and ? + w, which is luckily standard across the entire OS, so I don't have to learn new shortcuts for each and every application that decides to use their own shortcuts.

Windows is the only one where I have to hope that ctrl + q works, otherwise I have to reach for my mouse, and luckily I can switch between OS's and whether it is on the right or left I can hit the damn button to close the application, or attempt to hit alt + f4 without hitting something else accidentally.

If you don't like you can change the layout of the buttons as well as the side they appear on:

press "Alt+F2" - You will get the "Run Application" Window.
Type "gconf-editor" - You will get a Configuration Editor Screen as shown in the figure.
Goto "Apps -> Metacity -> General" under the window dropdown menu.
On the right side you can see a key named "button_layout"
It will have a value "maximize,minimize,close" in a different order. Change it to "menu:maximize,minimize,close". The editing can be done by right clicking on the value and pressing "Edit Key".

Press ok. This should do it.

I absolutely detest the right oriented max/min/close buttons.

See what I did there?

Personally I don't care what side it is on, as long as there are shortcut keys I can easily hit with my left hand to do the basic things I need to do, such as close a tab in a window, close a window, and whatnot. Luckily for most of those things ctrl + q closes an application and ctrl + w closes a tab in a window. Or on Mac OS X ? + q and ? + w, which is luckily standard across the entire OS, so I don't have to learn new shortcuts for each and every application that decides to use their own shortcuts.

Windows is the only one where I have to hope that ctrl + q works, otherwise I have to reach for my mouse, and luckily I can switch between OS's and whether it is on the right or left I can hit the damn button to close the application, or attempt to hit alt + f4 without hitting something else accidentally.

What was the button orientation with the previous iterations of Ubuntu smart-ass?

Alt + F4 works standard in pretty much all active applications in Windows except games which take full focus and are not windows, to my knowledge. Not sure how hitting Alt + F4 is somehow more of a chore for you than ? + q and ? + w and others :)

I think it would be extremely unpleasant to have a conversation with you about any IT related items.

I am enjoying 10.04 and learning it as I go and will leave it at that. You can keep on about how much Windows and Office suck and all that nice stuff.

If you don't like you can change the layout of the buttons as well as the side they appear on:

Thanks, I'll give this a go.

Right now, Chrome has right-oriented controls and the rest are on the other side.

This might help in making everything consistent again :D

Thanks Xie,

Will definitely try that.

X-Istence: I do think that you would be a little flustered yourself if Steve Jobber changed the side the window controls are on on a mac.

Nothing earth changing here, just more of an annoyance than anything else.

Heeter

@Heeter: But I am not saying "How moronic" when I move to a different OS from my OS of choice when it comes to where things are located in the "themeing" department.

So basically no, I would not be flustered since I really don't care where the buttons are located, I am able to use either or as I use both Windows and Mac OS X ...

"Heeter: I do think that you would be a little flustered yourself if Steve "Developers Developers Developers" Balmer changed the side the window controls are on in Windows."

"Heeter: I do think that you would be a little flustered yourself if Steve "Developers Developers Developers" Balmer changed the side the window controls are on in Windows."

Couldn't agree with you more.

Nothing earth changing here, just more of an annoyance than anything else.

Heeter

Been running this in a VM at work for a couple weeks now and enjoying messing around with stuff. I'm about to install on a separate hard drive in my box at home and run in production and see what's up. I'm not looking forward to losing iTunes though as I have an iPhone, iPod, and iPad that I don't want to lose functionality of

Hi Brad,

A friend of mine has this setup, and his kids has all those toys. He told me everything is working out of the box.

Heeter

Oh? My understanding is that iTunes doesn't work that well under WINE...at lest according to the WINE website. I'm not calling your friend into question or anything, I just hope he's right :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back