Time Machine and Windows Vista

rrm74001

OSNN Junior Addict
I had a quick question about the new Time Machine feature in Mac OS X Leopard. Just as Mac OS X backs up it's hard drive, does it also back up files from a guest operating system, such as Windows Vista via Boot Camp? Or does it only back up files on the same partition as Mac OS X?

I do not believe it backs up NTFS partitions (Windows XP/Vista installed through BootCamp). Mainly because there is no way for Mac OS X to write to an NTFS partition yet, and thus there is no way to place the special files on disk that are required by Mac OS X to know which files have changed.

You will have to have a separate program set up that will back up those partitions.

Thank you, X-Istence. Do you think I will be able to backup both operating systems using two different programs on the same hard drive? Or am I getting a little too complicated here?

You will probably be able to accomplish that without any issues. I am not sure if SuperDuper will do what you want it to do, but that is the app that I hear recommended the most for Mac OS X backup solutions.

Thanks again, X-Istence!

I noticed in you original post that you said you did not think Time Machine could backup NTFS. However, what if I made my Windows partition a FAT32? (I believe this is an option in BootCamp Setup Wizard, correct?)

Of course, if i do it this way, I cannot make the partition bigger than 32 Gb (?) or something like that.

FAT32 won't be backed up either. The only file systems that are backed up are HFS+ file systems. Also, FAT32 is not suggested for Windows XP/Vista installs, so just stick with NTFS and a custom backup solution, or use VMWare Fusion or Parallels to run Windows within Mac OS X, and have TimeMachine backup the resulting image file.

Cool thanks alot for your help. I am buying a new MacBook Pro for college this August and I want to be as backup up as possible.

I do have one last question, which is a little off topic, but is it possible to run Windows by itself? (witout having Mac OS X installed). I would never do that, nor am I interested in doing that, but it is possible?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back