Tiger: What works, What doesn't?

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Ok, so I know that most Mac owners have, or will be upgrading to Tiger. So to save all of us some time, I thought a thread where we can post apps which don't work would be useful so we don't all try the same apps out and get nowhere.

Also problems with Tiger should be posted, so if anyone comes across a bug, you know you're not alone. :)

None-Working Apps
  • none?

Broken Apps
  • Azureus - For some reason, I can't drag torrents to the client, or double click to add them. Using file/open works fine.
  • BitsOnWheels - Same as Azureus, but more temperamental, sometimes works.
  • Irssi - Will Compile, but can not connect to any servers.

Tiger Bugs
  • ?

Post any problems/apps you know of below and I will add them to this post for easier tracking :)

Last edited:
PHP, MySQL and PostgreSQL will all have to be reinstalled these are not unarchived after an Archive and Install

MS Office:mac works fine, as do Zend Development Environment, SubEthaEdit, OmniGraffle has an update but runs fine without it, VLC runs fine. I think that most will probably be fine, there will be some that want you to update so that you can use some of the new features like spotlight in their apps, but in most cases the software should work as expected. I will let you know if I come across any that dont thought.

To my knowledge iScroll2 doesnt yet work with Tiger, this is the one thing that I miss the most right now.

[correction] iScroll2 includes preliminary untested Tiger support, there are reports of it working properly

Last edited:
Will have to try iScroll Again, had problems when I last tried (Back on build 8A393 :D).

Got it all installed now, its working fine. The SysPrefs for it have had an overhaul as well, so you have quite a good degree of control over it as well.

PGP 8.1 does not fully work. PGP 9 Beta does (and it is awesome!)

Getting some odd behaviour with Terminal, I just logged in and popped open the app, to get a "process complete" message, I open another to receive a message stating "Last login: Sun May 1 14:52:02 on tty??", everything works after this, but it seems to happen from time to time. Anyone else experience anything similar?

Click the thumbnail for an example..

I cant replicate that one SPeedY_B

Occasionally when writing a long message into the Translation widget it crashes :p

i dunno about you guys...but mail doesn't work well for me. it'll set up the account straight and everything, but it will say no messages are in the inbox or any other folder for that matter, which is completely not true. this is using mail 2.0 in conjunction with .mac email.

mail is working gloriously for me. admittedly I am not using a .mac address with it. Have you checked to make sure they havent changed anything with it and that you have all the right things set in mail?

yeah everything is configured correctly. i just tried mail 2.0 with gmail also, and it doesn't work either. hmm.....

Candybar and Transmit both need to be updated to the latest version. Panic has the latest builds of both updated to work with Tiger.

Nobody was home on Friday when FedEx stopped by to deliver Tiger, so it's been sitting in their building all weekend. I'll get it tomorrow and start playing with it. Hopefully I won't have any bugs to report, though!

There are obviously going to be bugs, and the Mac Rumors Forum has a thread with over 200 posts discussing them. Once I get Tiger installed, I'm going to try and reproduce the bugs that they claim exist, and I'll post any findings here.

oh yeah haxies like fruit menu will have to be reinstalled but unsanity have versions that are tiger compatible

Tiger finally arrived this afternoon and I've just finished installing it. :D Here's the little bit I've come across so far.

THE GOOD
Safari is flying.
Dashboard is handy.
Spotlight is fast, though I haven't given it a good run yet.
The RSS screensaver is AWESOME!
There are some nice new backgrounds.

THE BAD
I wanted a good demo for the HD playback in QuickTime 7, so I downloaded the new Batman trailer in 1080i. With nothing but QT running, the video was choppy. I'm running a 1.8GHz with 512 RAM... do I need more memory?

I've got Show Item Info selected on my desktop so that the HD icon will show my disk space, but it looks like this: 148.93 GB,....37 GB free. I seem to remember this happening in Panther, but I'm not sure. Either way, I don't know how to fix it.

More later. ;)

What video card do you have muzikool? I think alot of it depends on that. Also I've heard part of the new rendering whatnot is to be enabled in 10.4.1 or something and that might help. Also 1080i is just crazy, you might wanna stick to the 720i. ;)

Ha, I figured I'd view it in all its high-res glory! :p

I don't know why but I didn't even think about the video card being the problem. *hits self in side of head* I've got a 64MB GeForce FX5200 that came with the G5. I don't keep up with video cards since I'm not a gamer, but I do realize they've gone to 256MB or so. Should I consider upgrading the card strictly for video?

muzikool said:
Ha, I figured I'd view it in all its high-res glory! :p

I don't know why but I didn't even think about the video card being the problem. *hits self in side of head* I've got a 64MB GeForce FX5200 that came with the G5. I don't keep up with video cards since I'm not a gamer, but I do realize they've gone to 256MB or so. Should I consider upgrading the card strictly for video?
Don't let the VRAM completely fool you. Alot of it is clock speed after the 128MB mark these days. I think the rest is more marketing really, heard of new ATi cards w/ 512MB coming soonish. :eek:

Yeah, I agree that much of it probably is marketing. Still, I'd be interested in knowing if I should look into upgrading my card for the sake H.264.

I played around with Tiger some more and found the following:

Widgets
  • the translation tool is a bit sluggish
  • while tracking flight information, i couldn't get a blinking cursor on the sticky note to type
  • the analog clock only has major cities to choose from, not ones you input manually
  • the yellow pages widget freaking rules!

Applications
  • I installed an iContainer with the new version of Candybar. I had to log in and back out for all changes to take effect, but it works!
  • Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 works just fine.
  • Roxio Toast Titanium works but apparently has minor issues. Updates are coming sometime soon.

1. I think you need a rack of Dual 2.7 G5's each with 8GB of memory to play the 1080 trailers. (That said, they worked quite well here :p)

2. Change the Font size on your desktop.

3. Translation relies on your internet connection

In relation to the topic though, we only need apps that DON'T work, if the apps isn't shown here, then give it a go, if it works, everyone's happy, if not, then post.

Seems that everyone is fixing their apps rather sharpish though, so the list is currently empty :eek:

Well the thread title is What works, what doesn't? :p

An empty list is a good thing. ;)

Were we to list everything that works though, the list would be ridiculously long.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back