The Really Long Thread

haha, I'm still about to go eat lunch.

Edit:

http://realevang.wordpress.com/2007/08/28/how-god-really-works/

Did not want to make a thread for that... but an interesting read.

The article makes some valid points... but let's also keep in mind that atheists like to spout their self-righteousness all the time too.

Just because you can't prove X, X is not automatically false.

So atheists do have a faith... a belief that God does not exist.

Some do, sure. I was more or less linking to the article because I felt that it beautifully summed up and gave some insight into perhaps the way some -religious- people actually feel.

Maybe. Maybe Not, being not able to prove something does automatically generate a benefit of the doubt. In my book, for something so grand and encompassing if you cant prove it, its not true. But thats just my opinion.

I don't agree with that, a lot of atheists go about their daily lives and never once think about religion or what other people think. I think thats the difference, we don't feel the need to push our views and in a way I think are more open minded. I don't necessarily denounce the existence of god, but I do doubt it. Read my sig, its a perfect example of what I mean.

Also, I think the article hints at why perhaps Christians and Christian culture (America) is so violent and blatantly hypocritical. The subconscious frustrations manifest into your own conscious thoughts and decisions that get "blamed" or tied to your god.

Anyways, I don't really want to get into a religious discussion. I just wanted to link to the article so you could enjoy or hate what it said. I found it to be well written and a very fascinating insight, albeit only an opinion. :D I have gotten into arguments over religion many times, mostly when I was younger and its similar to politics (ironically they are very similar in their roots too). You can never really "win" with the person you are talking with... you can only share and back up opinions.

Some do, sure. I was more or less linking to the article because I felt that it beautifully summed up and gave some insight into perhaps the way some -religious- people actually feel.

It was an interesting article.

Maybe. Maybe Not, being not able to prove something does automatically generate a benefit of the doubt. In my book, for something so grand and encompassing if you cant prove it, its not true. But thats just my opinion.

I don't agree with that, a lot of atheists go about their daily lives and never once think about religion or what other people think. I think thats the difference, we don't feel the need to push our views and in a way I think are more open minded. I don't necessarily denounce the existence of god, but I do doubt it. Read my sig, its a perfect example of what I mean.
Hey man, I'm right with you in believing that there needs to be skepticism in pretty much everything. That's why I made my comment too.

I should have also made clear that my post was based on my impression of people like Richard Dawkins (the dude who wrote "The God Delusion")... who could be called a "militant atheist".

I don't mind people pushing views on to other people IF they are right. Of course in terms of religion, you can't. But I'm pretty sure you would support the need to "push" the view that the Earth does circle the Sun :p

As far as the article's reason for the marine's outburst, I'd just like to comment that the argument sounds like some pop psychology :p

I don't think it's a valid argument, since can't really prove this stuff because by its definition the subconscious can't be "tested" for truth.

I'd say that the marine's outburst came about because he took what the professor said about God and he made it personal, since his beliefs were being questioned. If the article gave that as a reason without including the whole "subconscious" stuff that Freud made up in his head, it would have been okay.

Anyways, I don't really want to get into a religious discussion. I just wanted to link to the article so you could enjoy or hate what it said. I found it to be well written and a very fascinating insight, albeit only an opinion. :D
I have gotten into arguments over religion many times, mostly when I was younger and its similar to politics (ironically they are very similar in their roots too). You can never really "win" with the person you are talking with... you can only share and back up opinions.
IMO, discussions about this stuff can be kept light hearted if people just used some common sense - like us. And as you can tell by the amount of stuff I wrote, I love talking about it :p

Last edited:
As to the article one who has a belief in god and religion would say as most do that god is in all of us. Therefore what the Marine did was God's work and indeed knocked the Professor off the platform. If you were to look at it from that perspective. It wasn't personal "per se" but as many very religious people do and say that god works through them. An Atheist would not provoke such a thing as this for reasons of affirming said beliefs of the religious. As the idiot Professor did.

That's why you have so many "nut jobs" that go through life either blowing up Abortion Clinics or other things in the name of God. Then they proclaim that God told them to do it. They kill or maim in the name of religion and do not think that they are doing anything wrong. In their eyes and mind they have not sinned by taking another's life.

And faith in and of itself is believing in the unknown. A person has faith in God, yet has never seen nor heard him/her. An Atheist doesn't believe in God. Therefore no faith due to no belief. They tend to follow fact. So maybe they could have a belief in science, proof by evidence of something or someone. But they don't have a faith because they need proof and faith is believing in something without proof of it.

*goes to eat another cupcake* :D

The article makes some valid points... but let's also keep in mind that atheists like to spout their self-righteousness all the time too.

To a scientist absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Maybe we need better tools to prove it, but until they are invented, faith is in the same realm of the supernormal.

Humanism is not a faith, it doesn't qualify according to the Catholic church or the remotest Episcopalian.

To a scientist absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Maybe we need better tools to prove it, but until they are invented, faith is in the same realm of the supernormal.

Humanism is not a faith, it doesn't qualify according to the Catholic church or the remotest Episcopalian.

Isn't that what I said too? :p

And I said "faith" in the sense of "belief". Atheists claim that the supernatural does not exist based on belief. There isn't any evidence to make that claim true. Right?

Semantics, you are changing one world for another, when it suits your argument. I can believe you look like your avatar, (and a remarkable, likeness it is.) However, the world does not exist in a 2 dimensional field, I don't need faith to believe in a testable hypthesis.

Guys, way too much content for this thread. Keep your posts short, thank you! =)

I colored my wifes hair. It is processing currently. And I am burning a CD, WMP sucks for burning.

Re: The Really Long (and Pointless) Thread

Hah hah

Goin for the Baker's Dozen huh? :p

I swear to god I must be pregnant, I can't stop eating today!

Does his boyfriend know? :p

I haven't told either yet, I'm too scared they will find out about eachother :ninja:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back