The Official WWDC 2005 Thread

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
Apple's 2005 World Wide Developer Conference starts tomorrow (June 6th). Should be interesting to see what all comes forward. I'm hoping to hear some news about the G5 PowerBook ( :up: or :down: ) and what all is in store with the move to Intel processors.

WWDC 2005

I'm waiting for the keynote webcast just to see how the Intel stuff pans out!

Like you mentioned in the other thread, I hope they broadcast the Keynote in real-time (or close to it).

Doesn't it usually show up on the Apple front page a few hours after the keynote?
If I remember correctly, they stopped doing live broadcasts for whatever reason.

You're right about it being on the front page... I'm just not sure at what point it will be available.

The servers are going to get hammered tomorrow. The difference this year is that almost every tech enthusiast is going to be watching this, regardless of whether or not they use any of Apple's products. :)

NetRyder said:
The servers are going to get hammered tomorrow. The difference this year is that almost every tech enthusiast is going to be watching this, regardless of whether or not they use any of Apple's products. :)

Yeah, to quote slashdot:

"As soon as WWDC starts every Apple fan sets their browser to a 5 second refresh for the Apple homepage"

This year however this would be more appropriate:

"As soon as WWDC starts everyone will set their browser to a 5 second refresh for the Apple homepage"

They stopped doing live broadcast as they have had too many people connect at the same time, and there is no way for Akamai to de-centralized mirror live content, and Apple just does not have the bandwidth available. Akamai can only mirror and keep local to the user copies when it is static none changing content.

Well, I'm off to lunch for the next hour. I hope that the webcast will be up when I return. If not then I just might have to check the macrumors updates. :)

Through Neowin:

10:25 am Apple is going to Intel chips officially. "We've been through many transitions. 680x0 to PowerPC, Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Today we begin a third transition. It's true; We are switching to Intel."
There you have it. :)

10:27 am June 2006 Macs will ship with Intel processors. By 2007, the transition will almost be complete.
10:31 am We face two challenges. The first, is Mac OS X on Intel. We've been maintaining Mac OS X on Intel AND PPC, secretly, for the past 5 years, just in case. - Marklar was true! :eek:

10:30am PDT - Intel offers not just increased performance, but reduced power consumption.

10:32 am This entire last half hour the keynote has been running on an Intel box running Mac OS X.
10:34 am Development machines will be in the hands of developers soon. Video playing explaining how to compile for Intel. Widgets, Scripts, Java, all already work...Cocoa programs need but a small tweak. Carbon programs will take a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I am planning on getting some "WWDC?" bracelets and "WWDC?" T-Shirts, so I never forget.

Always ask yourself: WWDC?

So XCode will compile universal binaries that will allow applications to run on both architectures, which means PowerPC will continue to be supported for quite a while.

I'm waiting to see if there's a catch. If not, it's a great day indeed. A system that dual boots Windows and Mac OS. Hell yeah! :D

"10:46 am While most software is just a recompile away, some will remain PPC-only. For that, there's Rosetta. Binary instruction translation, in real time. Runs PowerPC code on Intel-baesd Macs. Transparent to users. Pretty fast. Jobs demos Rosetta used to run PowerPC macs on Intel-based Macs. Jobs shows Microsoft Excel/Word running on Intel-based Mac (without any porting and/or recompiling). Jobs also shows Photoshop CS2 with all plugins that are translated and run on Intel-based Mac without significant speed decrease." [Via Neowin]

Sounds hell of a lot like QuickTransit, doesn't it? ;)

And that's all folks. The keynote has ended.

Last edited:
Crazy.

So does this mean there will be no "G6" processor? In other words, will they change the naming convention altogether with the switch to Intel?

I'm not sure how I feel about having OS X and Windows on the same machine. Hmm...

The problem now is we still don't know if it'll run on any x86 machine, or only specific hardware configurations that Apple dictates. The dev kits are 3.6GHz Pentium 4 systems in a PowerMac G5 enclosure.

NetRyder said:
The problem now is we still don't know if it'll run on any x86 machine, or only specific hardware configurations that Apple dictates. The dev kits are 3.6GHz Pentium 4 systems in a PowerMac G5 enclosure.

Apple, I imagine, will try and pull something off like this. However, I think it will be harder and harder to defend Apple, when it will be a blatant protectionist act, rather than a performance issue, like with PPC CPUs.

Melon

Yeah, I haven't seen anything that answers that definitively.

People on the MacRumors forums are going nuts! :laugh:

Is there a download link to the keynote anywhere? Would really like to see it :)

SPeedY_B said:
Is there a download link to the keynote anywhere? Would really like to see it :)

I haven't found anything yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back