The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

This probably already exists somewhere but I had a question on how to do something.

I read in a Maximum PC article or another article somewhere, that you can set your phone to detect where you are and act accordingly. For example, I'd like to somehow have it know that I am home, or close to home, the phone will go into a certain configuration - such as no notifications for e-mails and ringing for phone calls, whereas if I am at work it vibrates for messages and vibrates for phone calls.

Something more realistic, and probably more beneficial, will be to base that on time of day. Something like during normal business hours, such as 8-5, it vibrates/vibrates, whereas after those hours it is off/rings respectively.

Anyone know how I could pull this off?

I got a TXT from Cingular earlier, I need to update my device for the DST changes because I haven't yet :p

I think I'll wait until the weekend :eek:
Matt, did you do this yet? The link brings you to here eventually -

https://www.cingular.com/support/knowledgeBase.do?content=KB77065.html

Which then goes here for the 8525 which is a busted link -

http://www.america.htc.com/support/pocketpc/software-downloads.html

-edit-

Got it, even can do it without a USB cable :D

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/daylightsaving/default.mspx#connectto_exchange_server

I applied the DST update last month to my WM device and to my 2003 server. Vista, Exchange 2007, and Office 2007 are not affected.

I first did a hard-reset, went through the initial setup, and did a soft-reset just before the extended ROM installation step (right before the 3 second countdown starts).

Then, I installed Total Commander to access the extROM and installed only the CABs that I needed. The names of the CABs are a little cryptic, but there's a list on the xda-developers forum that describes what each one does. The Cingular extROM for the 8525 probably contains different CABs, so you can just do a web search with one of the CAB file names to see if there's a similar listing.

Other than that, I just manually configured my data settings, although there's a CAB file in the extROM that automates that too.

Where can I download "Total Commander"?

I found this listing for the included CAB files included in my extended ROM.

LOCK:Enabled
CAB: \Extended_ROM\MT_PC_Hermes_GenericLight_REG_060609.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\MT_Shortcut-MMS-Hermes.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\C_Cingular_GoodEmail_081606.sa.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\C_getmail.ppc2005(HTC8100).ARMV4Rel.cingular.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\C_HSDPA_Wirelss_Modem_Stall.cab
CAB: \Extended_ROM\C_Hermes_MobiTV.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\C_GetTeleNav.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\T_mm1lib_DLL.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\PP_PIE_Default.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\SMS_Setting_07Jun06.CAB
LOCK:Disabled
RST: Reset

EDIT: And not very accurate. I did a hard reset again and let it install the extended ROM and it installs a lot more than what is listed above including the data settings (MEDia Net).

This was the page that I got the above information which is obviously incomplete. http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=Hermes_ExtendedRoms

Last edited:
I gave up on this for now. I needed to get my device set back up. You took too long. =]

I'll wait for WM6 to give this a go. It was nice having a "clean" device.

From what I've read HTC and Cingular will be releasing a new ROM for the 8525 shortly that will NOT include WM 6. It will include bug fixes and new features such as PTT.

WM 6 is slated for Q3?

Up on AKU 3.3.1 now, hopefully the last one before 6?
Or I dunno, just don't want to keep resetting all my phone settings again :D

Also:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931621

Big fix if you use a storage card in Vista, can enable enchanced USB functionality again!

Thanks for the heads up, Matt. :)

That's really strange though. It's like an MDA in a new shell, with the same OMAP850 processor, the same 64MB RAM + 128MB ROM combo, and no 3G. And I'm not sure I like the blue color much; I'd need to see one in person first.

I've been busy during the last few days and haven't kept up with the news. Had no idea the MDA had disappeared from T-Mo's site. I guess I'm going to have to make some alternate plans for the Crossbow ROM now, because I know it can definitely run on the MDA/Wizard (and it's actually faster than WM5 on the same device too).

There was news that T-Mo was planning a 3G rollout starting this year. Why would a phone that's launching in August not be 3G-ready? =\

The same reason that Exchange 2007 is out and nobody has shipped a WM6 device to take advantage of all the new features.

So I read this just now...

Sources tell us that AT&T has some plan changes in the works -- good news for SMS fanatics (not Verizon good, but still good) and bad news for the data-hungry among us. First, the good: MEdia Works will go from 1,000 messages to 1,500 and both Messaging Extreme and MEdia Max will get a bump from 3,000 to 6,000 SMSes monthly, all with no increase in monthly price. Now the very (very) bad news: the $39.99 PDA Unlimited plan will apparently get dropped to a measly 20MB a month; users will need to instead choose the $49.99 plan to steer clear of a hard cap, which'll get boosted from 1,000 texts to 1,500. Excuse us while we go lock ourselves in the restroom for a few minutes and curse at the top of our lungs.

[Thanks, anonymous tipster]

Update: It seems the $49.99 plan is being brought down to $39.99 and the $39.99 plan is going down to $29.99, so the news isn't that bad after all.

I will be calling Cingular tomorrow morning to get down to the bottom of it. They better not be raising the price of the unlimited plan. I won't be happy, but I will be happy if they are going to give me more for $39.99/month.

Am I the only one that cares anymore...?

More news on the 8525 and PTT firmware. WM6 coming Q3? I doubt it.

If you've been staring longingly at that poor, disabled push-to-talk button on the side of your Cingular-branded Hermes, wondering just when -- if ever -- you'd be able to annoy friends and family alike with Nextel-like ease, it seems your time has nearly come. Sources tell us that a firmware update will grace the 8525 on or around April 25 (yes, of 2007), bringing an enabled PTT button, AT&T branding to match the BlackJack's, and a mixed bag of fixes for bugs in the current firmware. The same source is telling us to expect our Windows Mobile 6 upgrade come Q3 of this year, so if the April 25 date holds up, we'd say that bodes well.

Oh Canada!

Being the first on the block to have the latest and greatest is an awesome feeling and the HTC P4000 (aka Titan) is no exception. Our favorite CDMA carrier up north, Telus, just landed the latest bad boy today that's sporting Windows Mobile 5.0 with a cost of $200 on a three (ouch!) year contract. Just in case you forgot the spec sheet, we'll give it to you again: EV-DO Rev. A, 2 megapixel cam, 256 MB of RAM, 128 of ROM, and Bluetooth 2.0. Verizon and Sprint customers should be very jealous!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back