The HD29xx question

zapoqx

Striking Master
So I read somewhere that there is a HD2950 coming out soon? But I also remembering long ago that someone said there wasn't going to be any XTX version of the 2900 and there wasn't going to be anything higher than the 2900 which made me think about the whole R630's.
The thing that came to my mind was more of... since its September, I'll be able to get a 2900XT soon. But, If anyone knows if there is supposed to be a 2950, when is it supposed to come out?

Thanks.

I play DX games now and if I need to play OpenGL games, I have a 2nd system that can run that just fine if needed. I just wanted te question answered about if there is or isn't a 2950 supposedly coming out or something

Haven't heard much since May about it. All the blogs and gossip sites had claimed a Q3 launch. According to VR Zone, they're looking at mass production in December for 2950 parts (article is from three weeks ago).

Also keep in mind that Nvidia is releasing two new mainstream gpu's as wellin the next few months. Might be a better overall option for you

As is ATI by all accounts (both are essentially just the high end chips chopped in half and packaged up).

Really though if you play OpenGL games then nvidia is the only viable choice.

I can provide fraps footage as to why on request :)

The only reason I suggested it, is because I think its silly to have your mind set on one specific chip or manufacturer. Especially when the one you have your mind set on is by :) -most- :) accounts an inferior product. To me, Nvidia offers a better solution especially if you just want to drop it in and have it work all around great.

So I read somewhere that there is a HD2950 coming out soon? But I also remembering long ago that someone said there wasn't going to be any XTX version of the 2900 and there wasn't going to be anything higher than the 2900 which made me think about the whole R630's.
The thing that came to my mind was more of... since its September, I'll be able to get a 2900XT soon. But, If anyone knows if there is supposed to be a 2950, when is it supposed to come out?

Thanks.

As of right now, no idea. There are supposed to be additional sku's in the October/November time-frame, historically. This is usually when refreshes come forth and thus far, Nvidia has only released the "Ultra" sku whereas AMD was very late to the game and has only released a gDDR4, 1GB sku in addition to their launch products.

The 2950, if it has addtional rops and redrawn traces, could well be a beast. As of right now, the GTX and Ultra sku's from Nvidia are the better option in most situations, including DX10.

Even the previously shoddy Vista drivers that Nvidia had released have become reliable.

Re: OGL v/s DirectX performance, honestly there is minimal real-world difference between the manufacturers. Look at ID engine based games and see if you can spot a difference in performance or quality. Likewise, check out the latest titles and check the same.

This is different in the professional arena, but in the gaming/consumer arena, there is no tangible difference (other than relative performance delta's vis-a-vis the card's marchitectures).

hmm and lol I wanted to do ATI as a change and my system is technically ATI styled (It is made for crossfire) and I want to be all-around. I'm going to be moving in to a friend's place soon and they both have nVidia and since we are programmers in training, it will also help us when trying to figure out any bugs that might occur from the different hardware (This has been apparent before with one of the mod teams he was involved where it worked on an nVidia card, but seemed to glitch on an ATI and such).
And what is different between PRO and the lettered like XT/XTX? Is pro supposed to be more professional application than gaming?

nah... if u're gettin a 29xx card they're both for gaming.. pro is just a mid-high version and xt/xtx is top of the line

ah ok. Well in any case, my 2900XT 1GB gddr4 is coming in.

How much and where from?

Post some info when you receive it in our reviews section if you don't mind :)

Well when I Got the money, I put it in the bank. Earlier that same day, Newegg still had some. I came home as quick as possible and there weren't any left so I had to buy it from amazon. The only thing was that it cost almost the same as if I paid for it on Newegg with 2-day shipping. Thankfully, 2-day shipping was free! I just hope Diamond doesn't fail me because that's the company I got it for since their the only ones selling a RETAIL 1gb gDDR4 card.

Price was $560 on amazon, but if you wait, I believe newegg had it for $500 or $519. I can't remember right now :p

I'll post a review when I can Sazar :) Actually, this is my first time of actually OWNING my own high end graphics card and everything else that is high end enough for me. As long as the drivers don't fail me either from ATI, I should be good, though I sort of wish Omegadrivers updated. My card should be here on Monday according to Amazon, but maybe I'll luck out and I get it tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back