The election so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grandmaster said:
Bush getting re-elected = bad.

muzikool's sig and avatar = sweet :p
Agreed. And sig would be cool if it wasn't part of the problem. :) I couldn't agree more with John Stewart when he was on "Crossfire". The elections are all about a fancy show and the media helps them with this. We will never have a 100% "fair" election until we actually make the canidates run on what they are going to do .. not on "how can we bash this other guy".

- I still have the John Stewart segment in xvid format that I could perhaps share in some fashion if anyone is interested. I think it's really good.

I definalty agree that Bush's second term will be a difficult term with the current status of the country and world events. In my book that was another reason to choose Bush over Kerry. I am sure it is hard enough being a new president, no sence throwing him in the deep end and risking that he would drowned.

However, I do hope that the election showed Bush the things that the american people are concerned about and that he takes that information to heart. The near 50/50 split between Bush and Kerry by the votes shows that people like things from both canidates and that each had there appeaing points.

Inaddition, historicaly, presidents in their second term seem to get things more things right than they did in their first term of office. I am presuming that it has to do with the fact that they are leaning from their mistakes, and are paying attention to peoples concerns. They also don't have to appease as many special interest groups because of re-election. (lets face facts, we all know that happens).

If the past is any indicator, as well as the election results, it should show President Bush that he better pay closer attention to the american public or he might find his ass impeached. We the people have done it before, and with the strong convictions in this election, it wouldn't take much for Bush to push the country to that level.

Xie said:
Agreed. And sig would be cool if it wasn't part of the problem. :) I couldn't agree more with John Stewart when he was on "Crossfire". The elections are all about a fancy show and the media helps them with this. We will never have a 100% "fair" election until we actually make the canidates run on what they are going to do .. not on "how can we bash this other guy".

- I still have the John Stewart segment in xvid format that I could perhaps share in some fashion if anyone is interested. I think it's really good.
Jon Stewart is probably one of the most sane and sensible people in the US Media machine

Maveric169 said:
I definalty agree that Bush's second term will be a difficult term with the current status of the country and world events. In my book that was another reason to choose Bush over Kerry. I am sure it is hard enough being a new president, no sence throwing him in the deep end and risking that he would drowned.

However, I do hope that the election showed Bush the things that the american people are concerned about and that he takes that information to heart. The near 50/50 split between Bush and Kerry by the votes shows that people like things from both canidates and that each had there appeaing points.

Inaddition, historicaly, presidents in their second term seem to get things more things right than they did in their first term of office. I am presuming that it has to do with the fact that they are leaning from their mistakes, and are paying attention to peoples concerns. They also don't have to appease as many special interest groups because of re-election. (lets face facts, we all know that happens).

If the past is any indicator, as well as the election results, it should show President Bush that he better pay closer attention to the american public or he might find his ass impeached. We the people have done it before, and with the strong convictions in this election, it wouldn't take much for Bush to push the country to that level.

Impeached ?

I think you gave up that right with the Patriot act.

LOL j/k

Kermit_The_Frog said:
Impeached ?

I think you gave up that right with the Patriot act.

LOL j/k
No comment as big brother could be listening right now. Anyone that opposes his majesty is a "terrorist" and "un-american" you know. :p

Jon Stewart is probably one of the most sane and sensible people in the US Media machine

totaly agree.. did any one else see the cross fire with him on it?

sraycoz said:
totaly agree.. did any one else see the cross fire with him on it?

yep... and also watched him on C-Span a few days later...

he's doing well for himself w/o hiding his convictions...

he is undoubtedly liberal, though a moderate liberal compared to the hard-core left-wingers I have seen around...

probably a little to the left of me...

its the humour they infuse in their show while also showing factual news clips that really rawks :D

Just got a chance to watch A Perfect Circle's new video, Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of War Drums. Odd and sadly somewhat true, oh and very interesting. :)

muzikool said:
Some observations:

1. Party lines were followed for the most part on both sides. Percentages were posted by someone earlier in this thread. One can't claim that Republicans voted on party lines when most Democrats did too.

2. The media has learned from its mistakes in 2000 and did a pretty decent job in having patience with calling states for either candidate.

3. The Democratic Party failed to nominate a strong candidate for President, and the party lost for that reason. My basis for the claim is that I've never seen a President attempt to win a second term with so much going against him. Moveon.org, Michael Moore and his documentary, Bruce Springsteen and other musicians touring the country in support of Kerry, anti-Bush websites all over the Internet, and enormous amounts of hateful opposition... it would seem that all this would be enough to keep Bush from winning the election. But Bush won anyway. Personally, I am extremely happy that Bush won, but it is still hard for me to believe that he actually did considering all he was going up against. I'm not implying that Kerry went without his own convincing opposition, but I never saw near the amount that Bush faced. There are definitely multiple factors that contributed to Bush's win, but I feel that one of the main factors is that The Democratic Party did a poor job in choosing its nominee.

Here was Karl Rove's take on it apperently.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=5&u=/ap/20041108/ap_on_el_pr/rove_election_wrap

Reflecting on how he delivered President Bush (news - web sites) his second term, White House political adviser Karl Rove admitted Sunday that John Kerry (news - web sites)'s vote for, then against, funding in Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan (news - web sites) was the "gift that kept on giving."

...Rove played down the importance to the campaign of "moral values," which exit polls last Tuesday unexpectedly identified as a major consideration of many voters, especially those who voted for Bush.

Rove said 34 percent of the voters were motivated by issues surrounding Iraq and the war on terror, compared with 30 percent motivated by moral values. "What essentially happened in this election was that people became concerned about three issues: first the war, then the economy, jobs and taxes and then moral values. And then everything else dropped off of the plate," he said.

In looking at the split between voters, both Bush and Kerry supporters, one thing to look at is the exit poll results, and what the voters who were polled said in connection with their vote.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/02/prez.analysis/index.html

BTW and in reference to Rove's statement, the exit poll results suggest that Americans are divided on Iraq, though

Terrorism and the war in Iraq rated as the third and fourth top issues, respectively. While the voting public evenly split on the Iraq war, those who called it a top issue were far more likely to support Kerry. Bush won handily among those who prioritized terrorism.

Looking ahead though, I was reading last night that any attempt to describe this as some sort of mandate, and expect that now that the election is done, all might go Bush's way in the Legislature, might not be as expected however. Thing is, some Republicans have expressed disappointment and aren't all to happy with the aftermath (and rhetoric?) it would seem.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...washpost/20041106/ts_washpost/a29205_2004nov5

"What's changed in the Democratic psyche in the last two years is that we believe we have to oppose the Republicans because their agenda is not just different from ours but that it's dangerous," Rosenberg said. "We don't see ourselves arguing in a debating society between two alternative points of view. . . . We are fighting with a missionary zeal."

Sen.-elect John Thune (R-S.D.), who defeated Daschle, suggested that nothing would make him happier than for the Democrats to take this approach. "There's going to be a hesitancy by some of these [Democrats] to get too far out there" resisting Bush's agenda, he said, because they know from Daschle's experience, "if you do that, there's going to be a price."

This article describes some of what could be facing Congress in years to come, and that the challenge could be greater then many are assuming. But among this, are also Republican moderates, who well

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/washpost/20041104/ts_washpost/a23663_2004nov3

"Regrettably, we have seen an erosion in the Senate of centrists on both sides of the aisle," said Sen. Olympia J. Snowe (news, bio, voting record) of Maine, a Republican moderate whose leverage may drop substantially in the next Congress. She said she hoped Bush will push for cooperation between the two parties.

Another GOP moderate, Sen. Lincoln D. Chafee (news, bio, voting record) (R.I.), expressed even deeper disappointment, telling the Providence Journal he would not rule out switching to the Democratic Party.

Anyhow, the full article is worth reading IMO as it lays various things out, which we might be in store for.

The democrats should have picked Dean. If it wasn't for "The Scream", he would have proven a more energized and principled opponent, in my opinion. I had much more respect for him than Kerry.

this was a easily won campaign for the democrats it's just they picked the wrong candidate and their strategists did a poor job

GO KERRY!!!!!.... oh wait.. the election is over. Crap.

I've seen nothing but crazy hype over the "county by county" map of the election by pro-Bush people (ie Fox :p). When you actually look at the map compared to 2000 you see it's really not much different at all. Anyways head on over to electoral-vote.com and check out the 2 maps right next to each other and then he's got a nice chart showing the demographic break down. It's scary that it was, middle age to older white males with a Catholic/Protestant background, that won Bush relection. Somehow I just don't think they represent us all. :(

*edit* - Also if you look at the numbers Bush didn't win by that much at all when put into perspective. The 2 canidates had a total of 115,409,172 votes. Bush only won by 3,510,358 (51%-48%).

well, I'm going to open a can of worms, and set the conspiracy community happily on a new frontier

EXIT POLLS ARE NEVER WRONG GUYS...IN TWO GENERATIONS THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN WRONG

many think they weren't wrong this time as well

ok, carry on then

perris said:
EXIT POLLS ARE NEVER WRONG GUYS...THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN WRONG
What about Entry polls, and lift off polls, turning left polls and turning right polls. What about them slipway polls....

before you ask I have no idea where I am going with that :eek:

I like those runway polls, and girls dancing on those...those are my favorite

anyway, Bush won, he is again the president of America

this thread is closed...anyone wants to start a new discussion concerning these politics with a more relative title, you are welcome to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back