• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

symantec corp antivirus

Doom

OSNN Senior Addict
#1
For those in the know. In symantec antivirus corp edition it has file system realtime protection (scan files little by little in the background). I've noticed it slow's my pc down a little. If I turn it off will it still scan downloads and emails for viruses as they come down?

Thank's in advance
 

Doom

OSNN Senior Addict
#2
And by the way you guy's were right. This is much better than the other virus scaners (including the norton home ones). It found 2 viruses and a trojan that none of the others did.
 
#3
Originally posted by doom
And by the way you guy's were right. This is much better than the other virus scaners (including the norton home ones). It found 2 viruses and a trojan that none of the others did.
In terms of detection rates SAV is no different from NAV. While I'm not sure if the engine is different the definitions are pretty much the same.

If you turn off real time protection the other features should still work, unless of course download scanning is part of the real time monitor!

Try it out with the EICAR test string www.eicar.org

A SAV use *looks at NetRyder* will be along shortly no doubt ;)
 
#4
Originally posted by Enyo
A SAV user *looks at NetRyder* will be along shortly no doubt ;)
:D

I really don't know if SAV has better detection rates than Norton. As Enyo stated, they use the same definitions, but different engines. Unfortunately, like NAV, SAV doesn't detect packed virii either (*remembers Enyo's test files* :p)
The only reasons I use SAV over NAV is because I have a licenced version of it, it uses less memory, and has an unlimited subscription that never expires.

About Realtime filesystem scanning...I haven't really noticed any slowdown, so it's been on from the time I installed it. I should try turning it off, and downloading the EICAR test, like Enyo said.
 
#5
Originally posted by NetRyder
:D

I really don't know if SAV has better detection rates than Norton. As Enyo stated, they use the same definitions, but different engines. Unfortunately, like NAV, SAV doesn't detect packed virii either (*remembers Enyo's test files* :p)

Oh yes thats right :) Seeming as NAV and SAV both failed in that respect i would think there engines are the same, if not quite similar.
 
#6
Originally posted by Enyo
Oh yes thats right :) Seeming as NAV and SAV both failed in that respect i would think there engines are the same, if not quite similar.
I gather it's not been improved upon in that respect in 2004 either, right?
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,015
Latest member
sanoravies