Strange error in a Dell Dimension C521

KillaBri

OSNN One Post Wonder
Hey guys, I'm working on a Dell Dimension C521 and am having a bizarre problem.

It is used in an office and I installed earlier today a 300 GB hard drive into it, formatted and re-installed windows. Now when the computer goes to boot, it gives me a "diskette drive 0 seek failure" error, which I know is almost exclusive to floppy disk drives. The hard drive itself works fine (in fact, I am typing you this message from that very same Dell). Once I got booted up, I checked the My Computer section and it sees a floppy drive.

One problem: There is not, and never has been (to my knowledge), a floppy disk drive installed on this computer. I went into the system setup, and sure enough that phantom floppy drive was first in the boot order. I moved it all the way down to the bottom of the list, even disabling it, and tried booting up again with the new hard drive first. I still got the same error.

Any tips on why this may be happening? While I realize it is not a critical problem, I am trying to make the message go away so that the secretary can boot her computer and not constantly press F1 every time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

That same thing happened to me, I also have the same computer! All you do is, go to setup F2, then go to Maintenance and click on load defaults, then go to drives and click diskette drive and put it as off. I hoped this helped...

Don't forget to check out my YouTube page!
http://www.youtube.com/chevyman10001

As the other poster mentioned turning the drive off completely in the bios should help. It's also possible if its an older PC that the bios battery is starting to go and settings are not being maintained so everytime the PC is cycled the settings are lost. You could test his by changing some other settings and seeing if they also revert upon reboot. You'd be amazed at the amount of boards that don't give any warning to let you know the battery is dead.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back