Speed Up Vista Indexing

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
I added a couple of folders in the indexing options (pics and music), but whenever I search for something that's inside them, I never get any results (I enabled the appropriate options for these folders to be indexed). I decided to rebuild the index, and it always says "Indexing speed is reduced due to user activity". Even if I leave the computer sitting there, it still says that, and it seems to be taking its sweet time to rebuild it. Is there any way I can speed the process up?

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
Well its a low process, so the the best way to get it over and done with is to leave your PC alone and let it finish! :)

apu95

I let it finish while I was in another computer lab...took about an hour-ish to finish. Not that bad...

I'm confused though, even though the folders have been added and they show up, when I type something in the Start menu, it won't show the results.
Say I type "Sonata Arctica" (my favorite band), it won't show any results, even though there's mp3 files in one of the folders I added :(

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
I'm confused though, even though the folders have been added and they show up, when I type something in the Start menu, it won't show the results.
Say I type "Sonata Arctica" (my favorite band), it won't show any results, even though there's mp3 files in one of the folders I added :(
There's one more little change you need to make. :)

Right-click the Start button and click Properties. Click the Customize button next to the "Start menu" item. In the dialog box that opens, scroll down until you see the "Search files" option and change that from "Search this user's files" to "Search the entire index."

apu95

Ohhh POO!!! lol, I had no idea about that...all the guides I had seen on the 'net just showed the first steps >_<
Thanks Net :)

Smoke286

Smokeater
Thanks, nice tip. This search feture is starting to make me lazy, lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pancake