seperatist

OSNN Senior Addict
i just upgraded my pc. these are my specs;

gigabyte k8n-pro sli
athlon 64 3200
ati x800gto
1gb geil ddr 400
200gb sata hd

every time i try to install xp2 windows will not boot up. the bios will load, get to the 'verifying dmi pool data' then reboot. i've checked gigabyte's page to see if it's a mobo issue and they have nothing on their site.

anyone have any ideas?

Driver conflict issue.

How are you trying to do this?
-Clean install of a windows followed by install of SP2?
-Install from a slipstreamed XP-SP2 CD?
-Install over an old XP version (basic or SP1)?

In any case
-Make sure your copy of SP2 is not corrupted. Any download can get garbled.
-Make sure the CD is clean (no scrathes or fingerprints).
-Try installing from a CD only drive if you have one. The early DVD drives and older bioses did not play well together. You could not install off of them.
-Turn off any advanced features (RAID, overclocking, etc) in the bios. Use the "set to default" option. Windows may not have drivers available to handle them during the early install phases.

Sounds like a bios issue make sure you have the current bios.

I seem to remember this happening with some bios, but don’t remember which ones.

i have the new bios, F6, is the version. i did a clean install and then downloaded from winupdate. i also tried loading default settings to the bios and the same problem.

i don't really need sp2 but i would like the updates.

DMIs occur for the reasons already stated, and these:

Corrupt boot files on the computer.
Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.
Floppy diskette or CD in computer causing issue.
Boot devices not set properly.
BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
Connections loose or disconnected.
Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.

There is HOPE

You do need sp2. You must slipstream or install from a pressed MS CD with sp2 pre-slipstreamed by microsoft. Most other methods will cause issues.

I have a sneaky feeling it's got something to do with SATA. Have you tried loading the drivers for it following the SP2 install?

Go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the CDROM first, and then insert your XP disc and boot. This should work, and insert the SATA driver on the floppy when it prompts you to hit F6.

Install the SATA drivers from the floppy, and reboot.

Upon further review, I've found alot of information from last August 04 (just a couple of months after they released SP2) where users were having a tough time as well, and as mentioned by LordofLa and Grandmaster - alot of them slipstreamed SP2 onto a Windows installation CD and had no problems (as SP2 has native support for the SATA drives)

Last edited:
i just got a slimstream dvd that should work so i plan to try that this weekend.

i tried the slipstream and it didn't work. actually sp2 didn't install. i really want to get sp2 installed but i am not sure why it won't work. any ideas?

You mean when you installed from the slipstreamed CD, SP2 didn't install?

That simply means the disc wasn't slipstreamed properly :)

If you have your own LEGIT CD Key, PM me your address. I'll slipstream a CD for you and drop it in the mail.

EDIT: Since I'm lazy, send me your chipset drivers too :p

i had this problem only when i tried installing nero 5.5 w/ sp2. i have nero 7 coming and that should fix the prob. i think they said v6.4 of nero and higher only works w/ sp2.

Last edited:
i got a real slip streamed disc from microsoft and the install still did not work. what could be the problem? could it be the sata drivers? help please!!!!

the reason i need to upgrade is that audition 2.0 requires sp2.

Just having a SATA drive should not cause a problem. Using RAID for the HD does cause problems often requiring the drivers be slipstreamed into the Windows install CD/DVD. MS does not include all the RAID driver versions on their CD/DVDs.

BUT, if you can install Windows without SP2 then it should not be a driver issue.

Two ideas left:
1) There may be a defective area on the HD that you don't reach until you add the 1gb that SP2 requires. Run the manufacturers HD diagnostics on the drive. Run a full check of the entire surface.

2) If you are trying to use RAID, don't. Make sure all raid options are turned off in bios and windows. After you get SP2 installed you can try and go back and add any RAID features you want (mirror, stripe, both).

ok, i will try the hd check as i am not using raid.

hard drive is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this boot the system and enter the bios, make sure the sata drive is set as the boot device.

Also watch the floppy drive light when you boot to see if it stays on (if you have a floppy) if the floppy light stays on and don’t go out then disconnect the cable from the floppy drive and see if the system will boot.

I don’t know why the floppy drive would just act up with SP2 but worth a try. I know I had a floppy that screwed up from time to time and the system wouldn’t complete the boot process.

i know the hard disc is the first to boot. i have the floppy seek disabled.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back