• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

slower boot-up time after system restore question...

Before I restored my system to a previous date my boot-up time was around 42 seconds. Now since I restored my computer to a previous date the boot-up time is almost 90 seconds. What could cause this? I have the same applications starting at boot-up as before I did the system restore. thanks in advance.

damnyank

I WILL NOT FORGET 911
I don't recall the whole story as to how or why - but it seems like I read somewhere that XP rearranges things on its own so that over a period of three boots it puts things in a "better order" at startup to make it more efficient.

Maybe after the restore it started all over again and will get better with more boots??:huh: :huh:

get Bootvis and run it. It did wonders for my machine. It's an application that optimizes the start up process. I boot up in 17 seconds, and I got a raft of stuff running.

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Also check these services>

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but
it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

1. Go to the control panel/admin tools/.
2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Also if not on a network disable 'workstation' at the same place as above.

Gus K

NTFS abuser
With BootVis, remember Trace first, then Optimise.

Also you could try the trial of Diskeeper, and give their Boot Defrag a run, works good (I don't like/use their regular defrag though).

F

FoSsiL

1. run "regedit";
2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher];
3. Set the value to either 0-Disable.
4. reboot.

guess what? my boot up time is back to normal. thank u so much. the info/advice i've gotten off of ntfs.org since i came here is priceless. :)

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
Originally posted by damnyank
I don't recall the whole story as to how or why - but it seems like I read somewhere that XP rearranges things on its own so that over a period of three boots it puts things in a "better order" at startup to make it more efficient.

Maybe after the restore it started all over again and will get better with more boots??:huh: :huh:
XP does do its own sort of BootVis but it takes a few boots for everything to be "learned" by XP. I believe you are right abot three boots. Prefetching must be enabled for this to work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage