slackware

nope, you should only need the first 2 at the max, I haven't installed 9.1 yet, but with 9.0 you only need the first one. The other cd's usually just have packages and such on them.

Yeah, only the first two. The last two CDs are the source.
Enjoy Slack...it's a superb distro. :)

thanks guys.
most of the packages that are on the other cd's are availible on the net, correct?

Originally posted by punkandacoke
thanks guys.
most of the packages that are on the other cd's are availible on the net, correct?

Here's how I go about it:

- Check http://www.linuxpackages.net for all your tgz needs, and just use installpkg to set it up :D
- If there's something you can't find, you can always get the source archive and use the usual "./configure", "make", "make install" routine.
A nicer way is to install CheckInstall (look here). Once you have that installed, you go through the same procedure but use "checkinstall" at the end instead of "make install." This basically does the same thing as "make install" but also creates a Slackware tgz package out of it. So you can safely delete the source and the Makefile, and just use pkgtool/removepkg to uninstall it later.
- Another alternative when tgz packages are unavailable is to download rpm packages, and use Slackware's built-in "rpm2tgz" command to convert them to tgz packages. Remember that you still have to install the dependencies yourself though.

That's it :)

I just installed 9.1, I'm happy they included the broadcom 440x driver. It was a pain to install on 9.0. (read here for info), actually not hard after figuring out how to do it ;) but anyway, looks nice, I wish slack had an easy update procedure like BSD or Gentoo (thats next on my list)

Originally posted by j79zlr
I just installed 9.1, I'm happy they included the broadcom 440x driver. It was a pain to install on 9.0. (read here for info), actually not hard after figuring out how to do it ;) but anyway, looks nice, I wish slack had an easy update procedure like BSD or Gentoo (thats next on my list)

Yeah, the Broadcom drivers were a welcome addition. :)
As for upgrades, have you checked out Swaret? It's not nearly as elegant as the ports tree in BSD/Gentoo, but it does the job quite well. I actually upgraded my entire Slack installation from 9.0 to 9.1 using that. Just don't ever use it to update the kernel.

Thanks NetRyder, never used that before, going to have to check it out. I really only screw around with slack a little here and there, since its on my main PC which is usually booted into XP.

Thanks for the heads up on swaret NetRyder, seems to work like a treat. I just installed 9.1 and upgraded to -CURRENT, took about 35min. Very cool. Off to fight with my onboard sound...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back