SharePoints

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Absolute genius of a little application.

A few days ago a friend of mine was having troubles with his net connection, so bought his notebook to my place and hooked into the router, during the afternoon he'd hopped onto the Mac and said he wanted to grab some of my files, so having never networked my mac to a windows machine, I agreed :)

I opened up preferences, enabled file sharing, enabled windows file sharing, and told him to take a look in his "network places" upon doing so he was greeted with my home directory (where most people would store stuff) however, I happen to have two drives and the other drive actually contains all my data, and my home dir is pretty bare.

After looking into it for a few minutes, it seems as if OS X doesn't actually have an easy way of sharing other directories or drives other than a users home dir, so I then searched some more and discovered SharePoints, a wonderful little application that allows you to add any directory you want as a shared folder, so within seconds of installing it he was copying files across the network onto his notebook.

Definitely worth a look-in if you ever intend using your mac with Windows machines: http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/

Thats a pretty cool application, though I don't think the GUI is as clean as it could be :/ - But me does like *one thumb up* :)

Yeah, the GUI does seem a bit crowded, however I think it's been designed to fit into the preference panel rather than be used as a stand-alone app. Either way though, it works great :D

I didn't know about that limitation with file sharing. Nice to know about SharePoints in the case that I need it. :)

I'm not a mac user but I was pretty confused when I hopped onto my two friends macs and couldn't get the specific drives to be shared...awesome find on the app I will let my friends know

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back