• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Set Vista to use both cores on boot

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
Found this little ditty from on10.net who in turn pulled it from Peter Provost

In Windows Vista, there’s a setting that lets you configure your PC to use both cores upon booting up (by default, it only uses one). You can change this setting in the System Configuration menu to get your PC to boot faster. Here’s how:

1. Go to Start, type msconfig and hit [Enter]
2. In the System Configuration Window, select the Boot tab
3. Click on Advanced Options
4. In the BOOT Advanced Options dialog, check the "Number of processors" check box, and choose 2 (or 4 if you have quad core) for the number of processors.
5. Click OK twice

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
uuh.... you have any idea how old this is? And it's already been proven to be pretty much a myth. That option is for number of PROCESSORS, not the number of CORES.

edit: the same thing was on XP too.

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
lol.. so, I'm a little behind the tiems (good tiems!) never noticed it before.. :p

I suppose I can test it on an XP box with dual processors to see if it makes any difference with 2 physical procs..

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Here I was hoping I could actually start taking advantage of my 4 cores - dang you Fitz for lying to me!! :p :smoker:

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
lol.. so, I'm a little behind the tiems (good tiems!) never noticed it before.. :p

I suppose I can test it on an XP box with dual processors to see if it makes any difference with 2 physical procs..
I'm going to copyright good tiems!

Sue all y'all for your measly little cookies.

Rawr !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies