Screenshots of Outpost Firewall Pro beta-version 2.1

Hmmm outpost is still munching a large amount of cpu time :( even with all the logging disabled (about 30% at some times) so may have to ditch outpost and go back to kerio....... shame the "allow once" features for example worked alot better in outpost although i found the rule creation more complicated rather than the simple stop or allow options in kerio :).
Still i am learning and my experiances with sygate and especially zonealarm were not pleasing at all.
Still i ran most firewall check sites i could found and it passed them all (mind you so did kerio 4) although i still always fail ping test on both packages.

Cut down the plug-ins that are active.

My CPU time is 0 and memory usage is 1,228 K. I dont use any of the plugins.

Rule creation is more complex, or is more simple depending on the way you approach it. You can either just allow the application out anywhere using any protocol, or block it totally or build the rules. Spend some time in that one screen and look at the different ways Outpost lets you manage rules.

Regarding Ping tests ensure Outpost is set to stealth and check the ICMP rules (system tab)

cpu usage 30% and mem usage 11,120 hmmm :(
under ICMP rules what should be enabled diabled ?

Yea thats going to be the plug-ins increasing the base resource usage. On the plugins tab STOP and REMOVE the ones you don't want.

Under ICMP just ensure echo request is unchecked, it is by default.

Does your computer directly connect to the internet? If not then its possible your router is replying to the ping.

ahhh i bet its the router as the firewall on the clarkconnect box it even more scary!
Right i have removed all the plugin save trafficled (nice to see whats happening up and down) but i have tried disabling and enabling it and it seems to make no difference resource wise its still on 30-40% resource munching i first noticed that casue winamp started slowing down :(

*UPDATE* I have removed outpost and gone back to kerio (luckly i had backed up my config file :) )
I filled in the feed back form and filled in the resource heavy section.
I will definatly try outpost agin but i will wait until version 2.1 is released i think thanks once again for the help enyo it has been appreciated and i have added to your reputation points thingy for it :)

That's a shame.

Attached is the values i have.

The order is: Process Name - CPU - CPU Time - Mem Usage - Peak Mem Usage - Pagefile Usage

Enyo said:
Under 2.0 you cant disable it via the interface, you can however use a workaround. You will be able to control logging in 2.1.

To disable it in 2.0 see here

Excellent. I'll try that as well. :)

NetRyder said:
Nice tip, Enyo! Dropped by mem usage to about 2K :)

Handy huh. Large logs can result in high memory usage and with no way to limit the log size in 2.0 its best to disable it or use the script (or do it manually from within the log viewer) to clear it regularly.

As i say 2.1 will give greater control over logging.

I'm just trying out the SuperStealth plug in. May be useful for you NetRyder when your on the college LAN ;)

NetRyder: It sure is :) I love it.

Electronic Punk: This month or next i think.

k thx for info.. im a long time sygate pro user, very happy with the current 5.5 release, secures my internet, lan and wireless lan.. i remember trying an old version of outpost some time ago, was a joke, couldnt even handle ICS.. and then also an aweful uninstaller that left files and registry values everywhere, waant very happy at all..

could u please point out any benefits i would gain from sygate pro 5.5 changing too outpost 2? im not planning on it, unless there is some major advances...
i checked the outpost site thanks for info, but i wouldnt be at all interested in them crappy plugins that come as standard.. but that ARP filter does seem great..
also i am not sure if outpost 2 could handle my advanced LAN/WEP Wlan, only 1 version ago it couldnt even do ics;)

Version 1 did have its problems yes, i wont defend it. I used it for a time and left it for Kerio 2 but i am now very happy with back OutPost at version 2.

And yes the uninstaller does have issues to, luckily however a script is available to remove anything it does not so thats okay now if you look on the forum for it.

I also don't use the default plugins, i have other arrangements for that. SuperStealth is very nice, i don't have a hostile LAN environment but do enjoy the added security it gives. It's the only plugin i use at this time.

Outpost 2 does work well with ICS, i cant speak first hand but users on the forum don't report issues. It will also be able to handle your LAN/WLAN environment.

Sygate and Outpost are both very capable firewalls, they both include more or less the same feature set and both are equally capable of keeping your system secure.

If your happy with Sygate and have no problems i would suggest you stay with it. I made comparisons between the two some time ago when i tested Sygate, that post may be restored shortly if i can have it retrieved from the database. But you wont gain anything really worth changing for if things are fine now.

thanks again for info... i feel secure and know sygate inside out.. im staying put for now, if i ever did make a change i guess outpost is where i would head for...

Ok, I took the plung and installed OutPost Pro. So far so good... 29 days left.

Outpost rules! (pun indended :)) Of course, i've never used anything else but.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back