Safari 5% Market share

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
The Apple produced Safari web browser has crossed the 5% browser market share mark. Net Applications browser market share survey shows MSIE at 77%, Firefox at nearly 15% and Safari just popping its head above 5%.

What isn't clear though is if they are counting all 'WebKit' browsers as Safari or not. If it includes anything 'WebKit' then this might extend to some Nokia browsers and will of course include the iPhone.

I can't imagine this being for system based browsers.

Unless this includes Apple systems.

There is absolutely no way that Safari is 5%.

and why not Joe?

I think it's because Mac itself only occupies 6.6% of the computer market (latest figures), and a Windows version has only been out for one quarter. To say that 5% of all web browsing is being done by a barely used browser on a barely used operating system is questionable at best. Skepticism is understandable, for sure.

Last edited:
If MacOS really has a 6.6% share of the market then I would be inclined to believe the numbers. I always thought they had more like 3-4%. I just wasn't going to believe that anyone is using Safari on Windows since it is so god awful and all.

If MacOS really has a 6.6% share of the market then I would be inclined to believe the numbers. I always thought they had more like 3-4%. I just wasn't going to believe that anyone is using Safari on Windows since it is so god awful and all.

Mac OS X has surpassed the 5% a while back. According to recent reports it is at around 6% - 7%. I don't think Safari being at 5% is that insane.

But, it's such a crap browser.

Even the latest version on the windows platform is pants.

Opera, IE and FF are all so far ahead in terms of speed/performance/stability/features.

5% HAS to be users on Apple and/or iPhone only and on macs, there is a decent percentage using alternate browsers anyways.

Mac OS X has surpassed the 5% a while back. According to recent reports it is at around 6% - 7%. I don't think Safari being at 5% is that insane.

If 80% of Mac users were browsing in Safari, the number would be probable. I'm still skeptical as well, though. I use Firefox on my iBook exclusively and I would venture quite a few other Mac users do, too.

If Mac OS X has 6.6% I would expect nearly 6.6% Safari usage, I can't understand why anyone uses Firefox or Opera on a Mac, save for Firebug when JS debugging.

I have tried out a number of third party browsers on my Macbook, each one of them rate poorly in my opinion compared to Safari on the Mac platform.

I love Safari on Mac OS X, I hate FireFox on Mac OS X. Any other browsers on Mac OS X just don't feel at home. Hell, I dislike using FireFox even on other OS's like FreeBSD. It feels clunky. I use Opera when I can.

Don't forget, Safari is also the default browser for the iPhone ;)

I use Camino and Firefox to test websites I'm working on, but otherwise I do all my browsing in Safari.

If in '07 IE can still have 77% market share, I can believe Safari has 5%. :)

For the record, I use Camino exclusively on my Mac and SeaMonkey exclusively on my Windows machine. Not a Safari fan on any platform .. and FF is rubbish on ALL. :ninja:

You make a good point, Xie. Many people still have the proverbial wool pulled over their eyes. ;)

Please note that all SeaMoose users are likely to be included in the list of Safari users ;)

I think SeaMoose just reports as being WebKit... could fix that, but then the feature list would be far too large! :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back