Safari 3 Beta for Mac OS X

X-Istence

Political Access
It flies, holy **** what an improvement! I swear, this is so fast it makes my head spin. I had 80 tabs open, not a single slow down. Memory stays around 230 Mb (Real memory), which is really impressive. It flies, no slowdowns what so ever. Pages are displayed faster, pages just in general feel more snappy. This makes any other browser look like child play. 80 tabs, and it makes no difference in memory used, and especially speed it makes no difference.

It is like a whole new Safari, as if it was redesigned from the ground up. Wow, I am amazed.

230 MB memory usage?

Yar. That is what Unix says it is.

Code:
PID COMMAND      %CPU   TIME   #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT  RSHRD  RSIZE  VSIZE
361 Safari       0.0% 13:43.74   9   347  5621   317M+ 83.4M-  385M   856M

RPRVT(delta) Resident private memory size.
RSHRD(delta) Resident shared memory size.
RSIZE(delta) Total resident memory size, including shared pages.
VPRVT(delta) Private address space size.
VSIZE(delta) Total address space allocated, including shared pages.

The Flash plugin for Mac OS X is horrible, and leaks memory, this is after a fresh start and with a browe to the following pages:

http://google.com/
http://digg.com/
http://personal.x-istence.com/

Code:
  PID COMMAND      %CPU   TIME   #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT  RSHRD  RSIZE  VSIZE
  729 Opera        0.5%  0:03.41   7   108   275  24.6M  30.3M  56.2M   509M 
  728 Safari       0.0%  0:06.38   5   124   302  29.5M  31.0M  43.0M   404M 
  723 firefox-bi   0.0%  0:03.86  10    94   293  43.4M  32.3M  63.1M   447M 
  722 Camino       1.6%  0:02.64   7   107   275  21.3M  36.7M  63.2M   449M

That is for all the main stream browsers on Mac OS X. Now don't be so surprised that it reaches 320 Mb, a lot of that is shared resources, for example, Quicktime, means all the quicktime plug-ins get loaded, which also counts towards it's "Real" memory usage. Flash is horrible. It eats CPU time (pegs Safari at about 30 - 50% CPU usage (out of 200% (2 cores))), and eats memory and does not release it.

Meh. The speed is just webkit coming into play, I've been using the nightly builds for quite some time now, so the speed is nothing new.

I'm rather impressed with the tab dragging, inline search, and textarea resizing though.

As for the memory issue, would you rather an app took 5mb of memory and performed awfully, or took all the available memory it can, and performed well? I still get confused when people complain about memory usage.

When an app starts leaking memory it can't get back or won't allow allocation to other processes and applications... then you can start worrying :)

Flash is leaking memory, that can't be recovered until Safari quits.

I love the new find bar in Safari. Its more like the find bar in Firefox but nicer :p

As for the memory issue, would you rather an app took 5mb of memory and performed awfully, or took all the available memory it can, and performed well? I still get confused when people complain about memory usage.

Well, on Windows where the kernel sucks at memory management it could come into play, Mac OS X with it's UNIX underpinnings makes use of all memory extremely well, and manages it well!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back