Run Linux applications on OS X.

binoyxj

PrOuD InDiAn
Fink is a project that recompiles existing open source software and ports it on OS X and makes them available through a package manager called “Fink”, which is similar to Synaptic Package Manager for Ubuntu. Fink has a huge collection of some 2500+ packages.

2.jpg

Download - FINK.

1.jpg

Source:http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/12/18/installing-linux-applications-on-os-x-with-fink/

I prefer MacPorts as well. Never liked the whole apt-get system that Debian has ...

Yeah MacPorts is much better then Fink. :) They also have many GUI front-ends listed on the site if your into that sort of thing.

Never used a GUI with MacPorts, prefer to know exactly what's going on from a nice verbose command line. :)

Never used a GUI with MacPorts, prefer to know exactly what's going on from a nice verbose command line. :)
Ditto, was just putting it out there though since Fink had a GUI frontend in the pic above. ;)

Yeah MacPorts is pretty good though I tend to just fetch and compile the source myself now so I don't have multiple duplicated copies of things like perl.

Also while you can run Linux GUI apps on OS X they look like turd so I never bother.

Yeah MacPorts is pretty good though I tend to just fetch and compile the source myself now so I don't have multiple duplicated copies of things like perl.

Also while you can run Linux GUI apps on OS X they look like turd so I never bother.
GUI based apps look like wibbling piles of excrement, however there are quite a few handy CLI tools/apps out there. A selection of my "port installed" looks like so:

aria2
id3v2
irssi
mp3splt
unrar
wget

....plus a ridiculous amount of things which are installed as dependencies. Admittedly, not a huge list, but tools I use quite frequently, and it's always handy being able to "port install xxx" when I need something. :)

Eh, the duplicated copies of apps is just a small price to pay for the convenience, especially since I can blow away my /opt tree and start from scratch.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back