[Rumor] Dual-Core G5 PowerMacs, New G4 PBs & G5 mini

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
Hard to believe a G5 will survive in a mini. :suprised:

From the Mac Observer:
Investment banking concern Caris & Co. said Monday it believes Apple Computer will most likely release new G5 PowerMacs based on IBM's dual-core 970 PowerPC processor, as well as a G5 Mac mini and faster G4 PowerBooks on September 20 at Apple Expo 2005 in Paris.

In a research note obtained by The Mac Observer, analyst Mark Stahlman wrote, "we believe that Apple is now preparing a broad array of new PowerPC-based Macs and that these new models are likely to support further expansion of the high value-added Mac franchise.

"We believe that Apple is preparing new G5 PowerMacs based on IBM’s dual-core 970 PPC, G5 Mac Minis based on a new IBM low-power processor, and new G4 PowerBooks based on next generation processors from Freescale Semiconductors."

Mr. Stahlman also said he believes the new G4 PowerBooks will "likely be based on the Freescale 7448 processor, potentially running as fast as 2GHz" and that possible new "dual-core PPC systems will likely be used to build 4x CPU Macs – so called “dual dual” machines."
Yummy. :lick:

The Wall Street analyst also said there are some indications that the new PowerBooks may add "high- definition screens as well," citing Apple's acknowledgment that 2005 was “the year of high-def."
Yummy (again). :lick:

Full Article

Dual Core Dual CPU machines are coming ;)

Will be nice to see a G5 in a Mac Mini too, G5's are damned nice chips even in single configuration :eek:

I just can't imagine a G5 running cool enough in a mini without some more fans and serious noise... and then you've got to make the mini bigger! If they pull it off it will probably be with the slowest G5 processor available.

I reckon they'll get a 1.4 or possibly even a 1.6 in there (likely to be an underclocked chip).

Even a 1.2GHz G5 would probably out perform the 1.42GHz G4, those G5's are reeeeeaaal nice.

muzikool said:
I just can't imagine a G5 running cool enough in a mini without some more fans and serious noise... and then you've got to make the mini bigger! If they pull it off it will probably be with the slowest G5 processor available.
I'm unsure about the G5 mini as well. I own a mini and I'm not sure how they would do it. I know the heat of the G5 has been keeping them out of the powerbooks and the mini is almost a laptop really. Unless they enlarge the mini or find some crazy way to cool it I'm really not to sure how they could pull this off. I'm also interested to see how they would price one of G5 mini's. Seems like it would be more then the current G4 ones as of current but would still have to be less then the current selection of desktop computers I would think, as the mini is sexy, but I would take a G5 desktop if fairly close in price.

If they manage to pull it off then I imagine it will be something like Speedy suggests. We'll just have to see, a couple of months ago the rumors were that the iBook upgrades were including widescreens... which didn't happen!

Well rumors are facts until proven otherwise... right? :p

Not when there seems to be an almost constant flow of them, which there always is surrounding our Cupertino based friends. :D

I bet they have a propaganda department that facilitates the rumors for strategic purposes. :laugh:

It's very likely. It's a nice cheap way of surveying demand for an unreleased product or idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back