routers and access points - question


OSNN Senior Addict
Political Access
29 May 2002
I have a wireless router that supplies 2 computers with an internet connection. 1 is hardwired, 1 is wireless.

I have another computer, but no wireless card. I happen to have a spare wireless router kicking around. Can I hardwire connect this other computer to it, and somehow connect the wireless router to the wireless router supplying the internet connection? Is that what an access point is?


Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
19 Feb 2003
Short answer: No
Long answer depends on the router you have but I seriously doubt it. The only one that may do it is one that supports a third party firmware.

A WAP (Wireless access point) is like a wireless router without the router function. It's job is to provide wireless access only, it converts a wired ethernet network to a wireless signal.

The other way around is called a wireless bridge, when you use the device to connect to a wireless network and convert that to a ethernet connection in order to connect one or more wired device without using a wireless card in each.

My Linksys WAP has the option to be a wireless bridge, BUT it can only connect to the same WAP or the WRT54G wireless router.

Hope that helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Latest member