[ Review.spoilers] Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith

Re: [Movie Review] Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith

I saw Episode III last night with about 30 people I work with. We got a party room and got to go in to the theater before everyone else! :D

I very much enjoyed this one. Much better than the previous two installments. Way to go Lucas! 456123 is definitely the right way to watch the series... it just wouldn't be the same for a newbie to start at 1 and end with 6.

4.5/5 OSNN Stars

Frustrating to not know what happens in the 15-20 years between episodes 4 and 5, but was good to see anakin go dark, even if it was a little daft but I guess when the dark side clouds your vision you are jiggered.

A few complaints...

Anakin's turn happened pretty abruptly. Perhaps he was that impressionable, but I thought the transition could have been better.

How do Chewbacca and Han Solo end up together? I realized Han would be very young in Episode III, but I still wish it could have been addressed some way.

Some kind of Millenium Falcon introduction would have been cool.

I am still amazed at how ep. 3 could possible be worse than ep's 1 and 2 given that ep.1 obviously had serious flaws.

It seems in all the time that Lucas was fighting the big hollywood studio's for a variety of things between ep.6 and ep. 1 he lost his mojo.

He obviously still has fabulous imagination but the characters in ep. 3 and the storyline and dialogue were absolutely dreadful.

I watched it and waited dutifully in line like I have the previous installments but the movie just drained ALL of us of any passion as it kept on in its tedium and ludicrous transformations of characters.

There are some great scenes and the light-sabre battles were great. In between I have honestly seen FAR better. Heck Kingdom of Heaven had better acting and plot twists and y'all know what I thought of THAT movie.

Ep. 3 had a lot of loose ends to tie up, and thats all Lucas did. Pick a loose end, think of a short way to show it and that was it. We all know Anakin turned to the dark side. However his turning was the most ridiculous thing I have seen. Even B-horror movies have better twists than this.

The fact that all the fans streamed out of the theatre at the end of the movie with their heads bowed sort of explains things rather well. Hoots and chants and claps at the start and sporadically throughout. Disappointment at the end of what SHOULD have been a great movie and ended up being a fabulous CGi achievement and a movie bereft of any sort of attachment or direction.

Spoiler tags added by request to above paragraph.

3/5 OSNN stars simply because it was star wars and because of some of the fights. Not recommended unless you are a star wars or sci-fi fan.

Last edited:

Ok this will mostly all be spoiler info so I'll just tag it all .. :p

Ok I loved the movie but it did have some things I found ... well not as great as they could have been, and some just interesting. I found Anakin turning really easy to the dark side. I know the Emperor lied and nudged him but still seemed rather easy. Also I was a bit let down by the whole Emperor is weak and scared thing. I know some of it was to try and have Anakin see that Jedi were turning against the Republic but it just felt really fake like Anakin should have seen right thru it. Also the battle between the Emperor and Yoda could have been better but once again this mighty Emperor was just a scared old man then a "Sith Lord". I mean without Anakin joining his side he would be no match for the rest of the Jedi. Also I found it interesting that in the time between Ep III and IV that Anakin (Vader) hadn't seen the weekness of the Emperor and tried to take over. :) </rant>

Well Jar Jar was rather annoying, so no I wouldn't say it was worse then ep 1. To each their own though... Anakin's transformation actually made a bit of sense to me all things told, and there were certain aspects of this I didn't mind. I just find Palpatine's description all too believable, though that would fit more into a political thread, then the entertainment section.

Some things were perhaps a matter of rushing to close up gaps in the plot, though again perhaps the original Star Wars comming out first, and then going back and doing a pre-qual didn't make this the easiest task. Stories normally build, as opposed to seeing the climax and then being left with "how did we get there".

This isn't always true however, as with Babylon 5, JMS is said to have conceived the final episode first, and then went back and built the whole show (and latter the Babylon 5: In the Beginning movie) around that final ep...

I dunno, I didn't think it was bad and wasn't really disappointed. That said, I wouldn't say it's the same as when I saw the first Star Wars back in 1978, if anything could be the same as when I was 5. Were there some things that don't seem to add up against the original series? Yes. Did I walk away terribly displeased that I had gone to see it? No, and actually I'll be seeing it with a friend next month who didn't get to see it yet, anyhow...

muzikool said:
A few complaints...

How do Chewbacca and Han Solo end up together? I realized Han would be very young in Episode III, but I still wish it could have been addressed some way.

Some kind of Millenium Falcon introduction would have been cool.
answers
Han Solo is probably maybe 1 to 5 years old at this point. Millennium Falcon is probably not built yet.
Once the Empire is more properly established a vast number of alien species are enslaved and set to work on a range of things. The Mon Calamari, including the young Admiral Ackbar (though hes not an Admiral), are enslaved and forced to build the first deathstar under the command of Grand Moff Tarkin. The Wookie race is also enslaved and used as strong workers. Han Solo is a Storm Trooper at the installation where Chewbacca is working and disagrees with how the wookies are being treated, I think one day Chewbacca kills the commander of the installation and Han sees/finds him and then helps him to escape.

I think thats all pretty much correct

Geffy said:
Han Solo is a Storm Trooper at the installation where Chewbacca is working and disagrees with how the wookies are being treated, I think one day Chewbacca kills the commander of the installation and Han sees/finds him and then helps him to escape.
I thought all the storm troopers were clones? Did the Empire stop using clones as storm troopers after gaining power of the Republic?

Xie said:
I thought all the storm troopers were clones? Did the Empire stop using clones as storm troopers after gaining power of the Republic?
yup. they recruited for all positions in the Imperial Army. Remember that Luke wanted to go off and join the Academy in 'A New Hope' it was the Imperial Army Training Academy he wanted to join

Sazar said:
3/5 OSNN stars simply because it was star wars and because of some of the fights. Not recommended unless you are a star wars or sci-fi fan.
:) 2/5 top.

Geffy said:
yup. they recruited for all positions in the Imperial Army. Remember that Luke wanted to go off and join the Academy in 'A New Hope' it was the Imperial Army Training Academy he wanted to join
nope it was Imperial Navy that Han had joined.

CelticFan11, your GF has some major ovaries to wear that to the first showing :laugh:

I just saw the movie today, I have to say it was very well done. As some people have said the acting was a little "rough" in spots. But thats how all the others were too, its kinda part of the experience. Some of the dialog was definitly emotional and if you knew the plot ahead of time (like most people) it shook you even more. As EP said.. it really is a sad movie, a lot of people die. But it was cool to see how George Lucas tied everything together. I definitely think it was the best of the new three.

I give it 4.45678349 OSNN Stars :laugh:

Electronic Punk said:
Frustrating to not know what happens in the 15-20 years between episodes 4 and 5, but was good to see anakin go dark, even if it was a little daft but I guess when the dark side clouds your vision you are jiggered.

More like 25. Luke is ready to enlist in the Rebellion at the beginning of Ep IV. He's between 20 and 25 years old. "Old Ben" Kenobi is clearly in his sixties. Obiwan is 35 to 40 tops in ROTS. Also, having been unable to prevent the death of his mother, after forseeing it, and wanting to prevent the death of his wife after having forseen that as well, with the assurance of Sidious that the Dark Side of the force held the secrets of immortality, coupled with a disposition towards reactionary thinking,.. I thought there was planty of plot material to provide a reasonable explanation for Anakin's journey, if abrupt, to the Dark side.

W

Last edited:

Geffy said:

Nope. Luke says to Obiwan in his Tatooine hut "I hate the Empire as much as the next guy" or something to that effect. It's the rebellion he wants to hook up with. Which is why after his foster parents are murdered by Storm Troopers, that it's an easy decision to want to "Learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father before me."

W

could have sworn it was the academy he wanted to go join, its been a while since I saw the originals, would have watched them after seeing ep3 but a music student happened and screwed up the rest of the evening. Ironically it was the music student that happened to screw up the watching of ep1 and 2 before going to see ep3... damn him!!

Wrathchild said:
Also, having been unable to prevent the death of his mother, after forseeing it, and wanting to prevent the death of his wife after having forseen that as well, with the assurance of Sidious that the Dark Side of the force held the secrets of immortality, coupled with a disposition towards reactionary thinking,.. I thought there was planty of plot material to provide a reasonable explanation for Anakin's journey, if abrupt, to the Dark side.

I'm not sure I'd say that Anakin's fall towards the dark side was so abrupt. The beginnings of it arguably existed in Ep 2 where he gave into his feelings of anger and hate and slaughtered the village "...they were animals, and were slaughtered like animals...I killed them all, even the wimen and children" or something to that effect.

Remember what Yoda warned Luke about, when he went to rescue his friends after his prophetic vision of the future where his friends would be in trouble. Something to the effect of not succumbing to hate, anger (possibly fear?), etc (the very things Anakin succumbed to, even in Episode II) as they lead to the dark side. What Yoda warned Luke of, Anakin already succumbed to prior to Ep III. It was his hate and anger which the Emperor also wanted Luke to give in to in Return of the Jedi with the "use your Jedi weapon and strike me down...I am unarmed" or whatever the exact quote was. Though I don't think (from a practical standpoint that Anakin's fall to the dark side was inevitable at this point, except that it was the movie plot and from Ep IV we already knew it happened), this would have no doubt been a turning point for him.

Looking at Ep III, I'd have to say that Palpatine planned this all along, and this is what he wanted. He no doubt saw the same potential in Anakin (but as a Sith lord) as Obi Wan did... Given the powers Darth Sidious posessed, I'm not sure that projecting these dreams to Anakin (aka implanting them in his mind) would have been beyond his ability (though at least from the standpoint of the movies it isn't stated one way or the other). Palpatine was certainly aware of Anakin's dreams however, and also his reaction from Ep II, though how he knew (told or through using the force) is left for the viewer to imagine. That unless some other Star Wars source/book/etc out there is more specific...

I of course have some issue with the Palpatine character here (and not because the act doesn't fit the portrayal of an evil Sith Lord, or the sort of planning that an amoral politician would engage in). Rather because on a personal level, I happen to believe in a certain degree of loyalty when it comes to friendship, and Palpatine had presented himself as Anakin's friend practically from the day they met. What he was however, was something entirely different IMO...

Last edited:

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back