removing "my computer" etc from start menu

apathy-

OSNN Junior Addict
i've seen alot of themes where the words My Computer, My Documents, My Network Places, Control Pannel, run, search, and the rest are not there anymore.

i was curious how this was done...

the links are still there, but the names are not...

ne one?
:confused: :confused:

I believe that the themes themselves make this happen. I know that I had one theme where the words were not there, and now I'm using one in which they are. Of course I imagine there is a way to tweak this in the registry as well, but I'd have to look around a bit to find out for sure.

thanks

yeah it looked alot better like that imo

do you know what theme it was?
maybe i could pick it appart and see how...
or someone could simply tell me how :D

Well first thing... are you able to load themes at the moment? In other words, do you have the software or made the necessary changes to install themes that you download? (UXTheme patch, WindowBlinds, StyleXP, etc.)

If so, then I'd browse through the "February Desktops" thread and find screenshots that have what you're looking for. Info on the theme name should be posted, and if not then you can PM the person and ask what theme they are using.

yeah

i've ade numerous themes and wallpapers and such, i was just wonderin if there was a way to do it without applying a theme

i know you can remame "my computer" to " . " :p but um well there's still space there.

idk i've been lookin thru alot, and haven't found one yet
i think there was one in the december bunch, but that's long gone isn't it?

apathy- said:
i've been lookin thru alot, and haven't found one yet
i think there was one in the december bunch, but that's long gone isn't it?

Yeah, the DB crash happened afterwards and so the December thread is gone. I figured there would be something in the Jan. or Feb. threads, but I guess there's not if you've looked.

I did check on a pretty expansive regedit site for a way to make the changes you want, but I didn't find anything useful. I'm running out of ideas now unfortunately, but maybe someone else will have more info.

ooooo i found a theme that has it
azure has it, but it's not on theme xp
checking google as we speak

I simply renamed my computer and my documents to " " if I enable drop shadows on text, the background disappears. I believe Norton Utilities allowed me to rename the trashcan to " "

what about changing my network places, or control pannel

is there a way find the registry entries, or chnage system32.dll?

If ur running xp right click start button go to properties then customize button then hit the advanced tab. You can remove them from there. As for renaming ive never tried to do it.

:-\

Fenris said:
If ur running xp right click start button go to properties then customize button then hit the advanced tab. You can remove them from there. As for renaming ive never tried to do it.

yeah... i've tried changing the system32.dll file, and well that didn't go too well, ended up formating

idk... maybe when i have more time i'll try it again, until then, feel free to say if there's an easier way ^_^

To rename recycle bin just apply this .reg file... :) I've used it for years..

renamerecyle.reg

Note...
This is only for WinXP ...... Not w2k or 98... :)

PS - You know how it is one computer is so different then the next.... You do have to run this with consideration.. :) Like I said it works flawlessly on my computer... I've reformated dozens of times and each time ran this .reg to rename recyle bin... It's works perfect!! :)

Beginning said:
To rename recycle bin just apply this .reg file... :) I've used it for years..

renamerecyle.reg

Note...
This is only for WinXP ...... Not w2k or 98... :)

PS - You know how it is one computer is so different then the next.... You do have to run this with consideration.. :) Like I said it works flawlessly on my computer... I've reformated dozens of times and each time ran this .reg to rename recyle bin... It's works perfect!! :)

Indeed a nice utility. I use it all the time also :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back