Redhat: Minimum System Req.

brunsodj

OSNN Addict
For some reason I can't seem to find any information about the minimum system requirements for RedHat. What are they?

Thanks in advance...

must Linux distro's minimum requerments are rather low, anything above say a 486 should work ok.

:cool:

From http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/technical/

Red Hat Linux 7.3 Technical Details
Minimum and Recommended Hardware Requirements:
CPU:
Minimum: Pentium-class
Recommended: 200 Megahertz Pentium-class or better

Hard Disk Space*:
Minimum: 650MB
Recommended: 2.5GB
Full Installation: 4.5GB

*Additional space will be required for file storage.

Memory:
Minimum for text-mode: 32MB
Minimum for graphical: 64MB
Recommended for graphical: 96MB

Hardware Compatibility
Red Hat Linux supports most modern PC hardware. If you have questions about your hardware's compatibility with Red Hat Linux 7.3, please check the Hardware Compatibility List at http://hardware.redhat.com.

Upgraded Core System Components
The following major system components are included in Red Hat Linux 7.3:

2.4.18 kernel
gcc 2.96-RH
glibc 2.2.4
XFree86 4.2.0
Mozilla 0.9.9
OpenMotif 2.1.30
Perl 5.6.1
Apache 1.3.23-9

it totally depends on the install you going for...

going for straight command line interface... then feel free to dust off the old 286, looking for some GUI, give yourself about the same requirements for win95, doing decently heavy stuff, then you need just about as much computer as you do for any modern windows machine... It's very versitle like that, however, choose your GUI wisely if you go that route, they CAN hog a lot of resource if you let them...

What GUI do you use, recommend one?
Is there a MP3 program that is better than xmms (I think that was what it was called)?

I just set up Linux with Redhat 7.1 with gnome on a p5 120 mhz 96mb ram. It seems a bit sluggish...all I want it for is to learn and play music off of my network (so I don't have to use my main computer).

~Dan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back