• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"read only" problem

K

KevD

Having recently reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled XP & copied across my backed-up files, settings, drivers etc. I have found that all my folders are "read only". If I uncheck the boxes & apply the changes, it appears to make the changes but when I go back to properties, I find that it is back to "read only". Any suggestions?

Thanx.

Kev.

I've noticed this also, all my folders say they are read-only, but I can still read and write to them as normal, is this the case with you, or are your folders actually read-only and will not let you write at all?

J

jairo

the only thing that worked for me is the rd command (remove directory) from the cmd prompt.it is the only way i found to delete
directories.(all of my directories are set to read-only without being
able to change the attributes)
is it a registry problem?
virus?

J

jairo

that doesn't remove the read-only attrib i have on all my folders.
the files inside the folders are deletable but not the folder itself.

Lukas

Real Name No Gimmicks
I think the switch /d makes attrib clear/set an attribute on directories as well.

go in command (run box-> CMD) and type attrib /? for help.

Im not sure bout the switch coz apparently NT4 doesn't have it...
:confused:

Lukas

Real Name No Gimmicks
I don't think so...

the box can be checked and kind of grey-ish. That only means that some of the underlying folders/files are read only.

You can double check with attrib

True......but on folders that would not normally be set to read only $MS explaination for this is a bug showing that it is set to read only when it isn't. Just try to keep that box cleared........bet you can't do it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fontjohnson