RAM Ponder

Scooter

Random Apple Dude
Now. Apparently Mac G4's can take up to 1gig of RAM maximum. Me wonders what would happen if... you went over that to say... about 2 gigs of RAM ....???

I've never actually done that on any of my Macs - so what would happen? I've looked up info on different sites, but as expected there was little common ground other than "you're mac won't work" ....

... so what would happen? :) :confused:

I don't know squat about mac, but two things, first, since it's a propriatory machine, I doubt the motherboard can support more memory then the os's maximum...second, even if the motherboard could support it, I'm guessing the os just wouldn't see the extra memory

this is true of xp up to the server versions...it's a licensing restriction, not an operating restriction, but if you install more then 4 gigs in an xp machine that's not a server version, the os just doesn't see it

im going to replace the 512MB SODIMM in my iBook with a 1GB SODIMM topping it up to 1.128Gb :p
Apples 'supported' maximum memory is only 640 on this model but i know of many people who have managed the 1.128Gb maximum.

Best thing to do Scott wouls be to ask on >>here<< best place for an answer.

Apple's hardware limitations are usually firmware based and not "limitations." For example, on my iMac, the drive is a Pioneer A06 DVD+/- drive. However, Apple limits it to just "-" via firmware. All I had to do was install the original firmware and I can now burn both + and - DVDs. The same applies to the logic board and the RAM. Simply reflash the LOGIC board with software that will support more than 1GB ram and you can do it. I have tried this with a newer PowerMac G4 and have taken it to 2GB without any problems. OS X can read the RAM just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back