• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Proteus now free.

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
I don't know how many of you (if any) use proteus, but it's now a free download:
Proteus, the chat client for the Mac by Defaultware, is now free! With Proteus, you can simultaneously connect to AIM, Yahoo!, MSN , ICQ, Jabber (including Gtalk), Bonjour, Gadu Gadu and Sametime chat services. Plus, it sports a customizable, Mac-like UI and plays well with Address Book.

When you download the current version 4.12, you will have to go through the registration process, but there will be no charge. Defaultware has stated that a new version that does not require any sort of registration will be made available soon, as well as a universal binary.
Personally, I'm a fan of Adium but will be willing to give this a go (when the site comes back, seems dead at the moment :D).

Anyone have any experience with this app ?

Link: http://www.defaultware.com/proteus/

SPeedY_B

There are a few apps out there which are "the same thing", there are three which usually stand out though...

Fire is open source, as is Adium, and now proteus is free. It's a good thing for the multi-protocol IM market. Competition is always healthy.

Unless you've tried them all though, how do you know that Fire is the best for you? :D

SPeedY_B

The version on their web-site still includes the registration process. If you head over to the web-site and "register" you will go through the process without paying, and receive your registration key.

The beta release I linked a few posts up removes any need for registering at all.

There is always Adium to try too :D

SPeedY_B

o_0 ...

What exactly does Proteus have that Adium doesn't ? I've used both and resort to Adium mostly.

Adum FTW!!!1

SPeedY_B said:
o_0 ...

What exactly does Proteus have that Adium doesn't ? I've used both and resort to Adium mostly.

Adum FTW!!!1
Adium will only ever show your username as your email address and I think it only ever sends it that way too. very annoying and crappy

SPeedY_B

My contact list has all users names ... the only protocol which shows the users email rather than name is GMail/GTalk. You just need to ensure that show contact name is set to 'alias' rather than 'user name'.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bettyicrewsi