Portable Hard Drive Suggestions

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Friends,

I am in the market for a portable hard drive. Some thing small and from a reliable manufacturer (e.g. Western Digital or Seagate).

I would prefer a drive with at least 10GB and some thing small enough to fit into my bag (I travel a lot and I have a home office). It would also be nice if it came with a slip cover to prevent scratches. Another nice feature would be shock proof (so I don't lose data if my bag gets dropped).

I am looking for an actual hard drive, no flash based drives please. USB 2.0 is a must. The higher the RPM and buffer size the better.

Thank you.

I would go with the WD Passporte product line personally:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=199

It does support USB 2.0 as you requested, and is pretty durable. I have the 80GB model myself, and I love it. I had to get something about a month ago as I found my Flash drive was too easily damaged (the lead had bent on me). I like the fact that you are not restricted to using the external power adapter, as if the machine can handle it, it can draw sufficient power from the USB port directly. I do have the adapter, but don't use it often.

If you want a really slim one, get a laptop drive, and put an enclosure on it.

Neuros Audio is selling all of their 80gb Neuros Digital Audio Computers.
$249; i have one and it sounds great, and is USB mass storage compatible.

you can even broadcast what you're playing via the built in FM transmitter.

it plays mp3/wma/ogg - but since it is DRM Free, it will not play back any protected content.

http://neurostechnology.com/

it is a tad bit bigger than a 3x5 index card.

The WD Passport looks like what I need/want. I thought I heard good things about the Seagate line... anyone want to chime in?

wwwdjrcs said:
I would go with the WD Passporte product line personally.

D, thank you for the recommendation. I checked it out and it is exactly what I am looking for. If I order it from WD I can get a case for it too.

I will order it later when I can remember my credit card number.

Thank you.

There are some slim-line setups. You can also simply buy a portable MP3 player (like some suggestions here) and carry it round with you.

My iAudio x5 is a 20gb hdd. I have about 12 gigs of music and video on there and about 3 gigs of data of all sorts.

Works fine for me.

All ordered. Thank you to those who offered their advice.

Well, you can't just close the thread and not tell us what you got :eek:

Spill the beans numbnuts.

:smoker:

I spent too much. I bought the 120GB WD Passport and two of the new Raptor drives (150GB 10000RPM 16MB buffer).

madmatt said:
I spent too much. I bought the 120GB WD Passport and two of the new Raptor drives (150GB 10000RPM 16MB buffer).

Sounds like you and I have similar shopping habits. Go somewhere for one thing and end up buying 3 :p

It's bad. Really bad. Like I needed two new hard drives, the ones I have are fine. But that's not how my mind works.

It's so easy to press "BUY".

madmatt said:
It's bad. Really bad. Like I needed two new hard drives, the ones I have are fine. But that's not how my mind works.

It's so easy to press "BUY".
True dat.

I spent about 2500 bucks this morning, when I started out to buy something for about 40 :p

wwwdjrcs said:
True dat.

I spent about 2500 bucks this morning, when I started out to buy something for about 40 :p

Whatcha buy?

And that passport drive looks very nice. Cool case and such.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back