Please Help...Keyboard/Typing problem

S

Sunterra

I recently did a clean install of XP on my Compaq Presario 350 mhz laptop. I have 192 megs of Ram. I have a typing problem that is driving me crazy. As I am typing, the cursor sometimes jumps back to a previous location in the paragraph, and I end up overtyping what I had already typed. It is not a hardware problem, because I reformated, went back to Win 98, and the problem didn't happen. It is not an application problem, because it will do in in Word, Instant Messenger, and even as I post this thread. Has anyone heard of this problem or have any suggestions? I would love to stay with XP, but it's surely enough to drive me back to Win 98. I've done the windows update, looked for fixes on the Compaq site and the Micorsoft site, and asked around the IT dept. at work. I'd appreciate any help from the experts here. Thanks.

No one seen this problem?

I guess no one has had this problem or has heard of it. Any reccomendations where to check?

We are here...I haven't heard anything like this before. Have patience, someone will eventually have an answer for you.(that is if you don't figure it out first)

I know it can't be a virus but

I know it can't be a virus but a friend had one that did the exact same thing. I know you formatted your pc and it did not do it in 98. But just wanted to say that is the only time I've ever heard of anything like that. I hope you figure it out. Good Luck.

batman_threadres.jpg

Gowcra said:
Reformat Xp
Don't suggest to format, it's pretty worthless as there's no problem (except Windows itself :p) that can't be solved before resorting to a format and starting again.

Also, please take note of thread dates, the post is almost 3 years old.

My first guess would be that the keyboard is deflecting and causing the pointing device to activate. Solutions:

Type softer...
Go into the pointing device setup manager and reduce the sensitivity (or turn it off all together just for a test).

One of the many reasons I hate laptops - pointing devices and keyboards are input devices that wear out. That means throwing away the entire laptop when a $10 part wears out. In the engineering industry we call this planned obsolecence. The marketing guys love us for it.

ya, I think it's the laptop driver and sensitivity of the touchpad...in your mouse settings, you should be able to find something in the sensitivity options to help guard against palm strikes..laptop mouse interfaces are all differant, so you have to find that setting yourself.

p.s....you can always use and external keyboard or mouse or both if you want to.

I love the laptop mice though

holy crow...I just looked at the original poster and the date of this thread.

I need to have a cup of coffee

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back