Please help - Constant reboot

I agree it could be any number of things when a pc doesn't run right. Hopefully every post given is an "idea" that "may" work out the problem. Sometimes to start all over is the way to go. Start with the fundamentals and expand from there one device at a time. Mainboard with 1 stick of ram, a cdrom, and onboard video if the board has it. OK? now go with addition ram stick reboot. OK? good. add 1 more device reboot and so on. each add on eliminates that device as being the problem, hopefully. Smile

Originally posted by Leevoy
Gets the feeling thread starter don't want our help or any experiences of problems such as his/hers we have encountered.

Thinks we should post some £1.50 ($2.50) per minute technical support lines.

Turns head, I think you're probably right.

Hey, take it easy. I have to sleep sometime! I'm in Arizona USA, some / most of you are in the UK etc. Where were you last night when I was posting? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am going to try some of these things and get back to you soon.

Thanks

Well, I just tried a few things. One, removed one stick of ram. Replaced optical mouse with standard mouse.
I thought we had solved the problem because it booted up in normal mode and life was good until I had to reboot after windows found the new mouse and installed driver and told me to reboot.
It then rebooted on its own after completing boot up.
Then it looked stable so I tried the change to detail view in My Computer and it rebooted.
I will try running safe mode now and remove all unused drivers.
BRB

Good luck - Leevoy tried to explain himself! I've subscribed to this thread because I'm having trouble with my "primary" (yet to be!) XP3000+ system and suspect there may be some level of overlap, although I'm on Nvidia graphics card - whatever you find may well be something I try (if appropriate) to remedy my system.

Looking on the bright side - yours is an old system - my troubles are with a brand spanking new tower! Judging by your post progress is (fingers crossed!) just pushing the "problem resolution breakthrough" envelope! (See attachment!)

GL... oops posting in wrong box - see next post for attachment!

Helping my gran remove a couple of corns.

Seems the sense of humour is not understood.:confused:

like I said

I think this says it all (in a very attractive way too!)

Dad you say that the system ran fine w/out the usb mouse? I would run w/ the other mouse and uninstall usb mouse drivers and see how that works for a bit ... could maybe be USB issue? I had one before where my system would do some random reboots and such ... tuned out it was 2 USB hard drives I was using :( (I have since upgraded my HD's so I no longer need them) but as soon as I unplugged them system was stable again ... very odd. I think it was somehow USB/drivers conflict.

I do that every morning when I reboot 'MFGuy'.

I aint as pretty as her though!

Originally posted by Leevoy
Helping my gran remove a couple of corns.

Seems the sense of humour is not understood.:confused:

It's understood now. I had just woke up and hadn't had my java yet. :eek:

I have to go off to work now so I won't be able to remove usb drivers until tomorrow morning.

I am leaning toward thinking its a bad motherboard.

What about the event viewer. It shows a lot of errors. I will post them tomorrow as well.

See ya later,

Well, I desided to do a defrag and it said I needed to do a chkdsk which I did and found and fixed a couple problems. Then back to defrag and the disk is 58% fragmented! :eek: :eek:

Doing defrag now and will report back when complete.

Update

I have tryed about everything to solve this problem including reformat and fresh install, even new HD. Finally today I installed an old 566 celeron to test the 1.13 plll and so far rock solid. I must have had a bad one or something not set right.

thanks

If something was not set right, then the processor could've been overclocked beyond what it could do. Overclocking the proc too much is known to cause random reboots (no BSOD).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back