Pentium 4 3.06 -vs- AMD Athlon XP 3000+

Originally posted by Goatman
well... to tell you the truth, most PC games going back 2 yrs have a higher poly count, and better textures, than Xbox's newest games. Xbox cheats, they don't use Polys, they use Bump Mapping.

Is it just me, or can the X-Box push more polys than a 9700pro?

300,000,000 polys/sec

125,000,000 lit and transformed polys/sec

Just because it uses bump mapping, it doesn't mean it doesn't use polys.... i wish i had a gpu like the x-box.... LOL!!

Originally posted by black-syth
[...]
i wish i had a gpu like the x-box.... LOL!!

No you don't. Haven't you got it yet? The XBOX can push more polys/bumps/effects/whatever because the programmers can optimize the software for that hardware directly and that hardware only. This gives the system much greater performance than if software would have to check for incompatibilities and hardware differences everytime it runs. If the 9700pro was the only GPU for PC:s it would be much "faster" than it is now.

A bad example:

PC: Playing MP3 in Winamp on a Pentium 75 MHz barely works.
Special hardware: A home built MP3 player using a standard microprocessor at 8 MHz and an MP3 decoder chip can play MP3:s just fine.

Special hardware for special purpose => High performance on slow hardware.
General hardware for general purpose => Low performance even on fast harware.

Originally posted by black-syth

300,000,000 polys/sec

125,000,000 lit and transformed polys/sec

Just because it uses bump mapping, it doesn't mean it doesn't use polys.... i wish i had a gpu like the x-box.... LOL!!

those are more PR numbers than anything else...

and please try and understand WHY console games seem to have nice IQ with decent LOD... it is because of the STANDARD that the game developers have... they do not have to write code or modify textures sizes...

we are all apparently rehashing the same thing again and again..

you CANNOT compare a gpu in a desktop with a console gpu... its not a fair comparison in any way..

Getting back to the original Topic

Since the first guy listed the Scores I'm going to list prices.
P4 3.06/w INTEL D850EMVRL $772.00(ATA100) RAID-133 $796.00
Samsung 512Mb 1066 RIMM $169.74
Total= $941.74

AMD ATHLON XP 3000+ /w MSI KT4VL $694.02
512MB DDR SAMSUNG MEMORY PC2700 $51
Total= $745.02

Hmm $196.72 dollar diffrence for a few points on the mark.
Gee I guess I'm still going with AMD!!!

Notice all prices are found on www.pricewatch.com as of 3-6-03 and are in US dollars including shipping costs in the US.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! stop flaming me!!! :)

i was kidding, i am aware that you cannot compare PC's to Consoles.... -sigh- nobody gets my polish sarcasm....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back