PC World

tibboh

Arte et Marte
just had to share this with you - down at loacl branch of PC world last night, bought a couple of bits & bobs then went to pay.... All the computers & electronic tills were down (dont know if it was national or wot) so they had to resort to the old way of taking credit card details (the old imprint machines) and paper receipts. Laugh?, I nearly peed myself as the checkout girls were trying to cope with dianasour technology.

Happened in our Boyes store a few weeks ago,the whole shop came to a stand still :laugh:

It's even funnier when the checkout computers break down and the clerks can't add :p

System throws up once in a long while. Couldn't check for stock for about 30mins on Wednesday lunch time.

This kind of thing happens all the time. Back when I was a waiter the real funny stuff is when you have to manually figure out tax. That calls for addition AND multiplcation :p

The worse part of doing a manual transaction is when it comes to taking card payments. They need to telephone the merchant bank to get an authorisation code for the due amount. Imagine if all PC World stores had to do this across the country, queues will build up very quickly.

Is this the same store as the magazine, PC World?

It's really sad watching teenagers try and add and multiply. They get this pained expression on their faces when they try and do it in their heads. Then if you hand them a pencil and paper they give you that blank look that says "what is that for".

It's a good thing we're not depending on these kids to keep nuclear plants generating and chemical refineries processing and airplanes flying when we get old and decrepit...

LeeJend said:
It's a good thing we're not depending on these kids to keep nuclear plants generating and chemical refineries processing and airplanes flying when we get old and decrepit...

I thought that was what the military was for, little did I know they could send 'em off to war.

falconguard said:
I thought that was what the military was for, little did I know they could send 'em off to war.

Ouch. I had a couple friends who joined up for some easy money and the college tuition programs just before Afghanistan and Iraq. They got to see the middle east for a few years. Fortunatley they made it back in one piece.

(Yes, they are in colleg now which they would not have considered staright out of high school.)

It is pretty sad when your have lets say your purchase was $2.01 and you give the poor teenager a $20 and 1 penny....:laugh: they look like they just seen a ghost...its like dude.. I gave you the penny so i dont have to get a freakin pocket full of change...I agree these young kids need to learn their basic math skills..and most of them dont..it is sad:suprised:

tdinc said:
It is pretty sad when your have lets say your purchase was $2.01 and you give the poor teenager a $20 and 1 penny....:laugh: they look like they just seen a ghost...its like dude.. I gave you the penny so i dont have to get a freakin pocket full of change...I agree these young kids need to learn their basic math skills..and most of them dont..it is sad:suprised:

I do that all the time to the middle-aged shop assistants (who are supposed to be experienced) and they still look at me confused and ask me why I give the coins in addtion to the bank notes. lol :p

Its same in the UK as well with £s and pence - sometimes I think computers have reduced the ability of people to be as mentally agile as they used to before computers.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm terrible with numbers ,same as some people can't draw and some aren't good at reading or writing.
I'm fine with the above but show me numbers and I feel like I'm about to pass out :dead:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back