Pagefile = fragmentation?

*goes to remove his pagefile altogether*

I've been doing this for years with no problem. With 2500 Mb as the target size, I take my total ram subtract from that. For1.5gigs installed I use 1024, if2gig I use 512, and say with 1024Mb memory the number would be 1536. Now this is how I change it. I first select no page file, then select custom set initial and maximum to the same value-ie; 512 for 2gig-1024 with 1.5gig mem, and 1536 if I have 1gig memory installed. With 512 mem I don't change anything. Oh left out 768 that would be 1894. You can round off those. I just remember them that way. I don't feel any speed improvement doing this but gain harddrive space.

wish i hadn't said anything now :speechless: and kept how i have been doing it for years - pagefile on d drive at 1.5X(initial) and max 2X ram, seems every time i ask about something technical everyone is trying to prove their way is the best :ermm:

most tech-oriented people (myself included) tend to be the most stubborn and opinionated people about certain things.

wish i hadn't said anything now :speechless: and kept how i have been doing it for years - pagefile on d drive at 1.5X(initial) and max 2X ram, seems every time i ask about something technical everyone is trying to prove their way is the best :ermm:

Thats cos my way is best :D My systems run flawlessly with my pagefile configured properly :D

What about setting up pagefiles on multiple disks/partitions?
if you have two hardrives you want it on the least used as long as you've set it to not spin down, if you're using dump files you want to keep a small pf on the c drive too

the only time you want a pagefile on multiple hardrives other then the dumpfile drive and the least used drive is if you're on a 32 bit system that only allows for a four gig pagefile and you need a bigger file then that, servers sometimes go well beyond 4 gig need for the pagefile

the way to do that would be to set your first pagefile to 4 gigs, your next pagefiles set to 0 gigs expandable to 4 gigs...microsoft set this workaround for servers that were crippled with the 4 gig threshold on those sstems that had the limit

if I remember right, if you have the pf on multiple files xp is coded to use the least used drive for the pf...that might be another reason to set a pf on multiple drives, just make sure none of them are set to spin down when not in use

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back