outlook2003 problem

mike09

OSNN Senior Addict
when i try and set up a pop3 account and i input all the right data it says it cant connect to smpt outgoing and wont send test email. thanks in advance.

it could be one of two problems. either you entered the smtp server wrong or you are trying to connect to a smtp server that you are not allowed to use because you are not on their network aka trying to use an open relay, What is the error you get??

If its like I am on connected thru Comcast and I try to use the smtp server from Verizon it is not going to work. This is a way to prevent spammers from using open relays in mail servers.

this is what im getting now...

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 151
what you need to do is click Tools > Email Accounts > (you should alreayd have a dot next to View or change exsisting email accounts) > Next > double click the account that is giving the error > click the More Settings button > then click the Advanced tab and you setting should look something like whats in the attachment included with this post...

ill have to wait while the server comes back up, spymac seems to be down at the moment. i have another question i tested outlook with my hotmail account and have since deleted it but when i switch off my user it tells me i have unread emails, how do i get rid of this all together? thanks for your help so far pk.

Whats spymac??
To removed the Unread Email () from the welcome screen there is a registry edit but i dont know it, or you can download TweakUI from M$ and disable it that way.

go to spymac.com and you can sign up and get an email account with a gig of storage and 250megs of web storage and 100megs of ftp or something like that. check it out when the site comes back.

mike09 said:
i have another question i tested outlook with my hotmail account and have since deleted it but when i switch off my user it tells me i have unread emails, how do i get rid of this all together? thanks for your help so far pk.

Here's the registry info:

Registry Settings
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail]
Value Name: MessageExpiryDays
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 3 = default)

PseudoKiller said:
...you can download TweakUI from M$ and disable it that way.
I agree with PK. That's how I do it.

well I am not a mac user so I cant join... that might part of the problem if you are trying to use their smtp servers... I can get to the information to see how it is setup.

no im onn windows xp you dont need a mac. and i got the email to work i had to use my isp's smtp for outgoing. thanks for your help again.

if your using a different outgoing to incoming then you need to go to the outgoing server options pane and enter the login details for that account

mike09 said:
no im onn windows xp you dont need a mac. and i got the email to work i had to use my isp's smtp for outgoing. thanks for your help again.

Glad you got it working.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back