• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Outlook Express problem

PurplePatch

OSNN Junior Addict
Okay, so there's probably a really simple setting that I can't see here. I've searched but for the life of me I can't find it.

My son's friend has a dial-up connection. Whenever he launches his internet connection, Outlook Express fires up straight away. He can terminate it easily enough but it's just a nuisance.

Can someone please embarrass me by putting up the simple solution that I'm missing.

Many Thanks

PP

Make sure that the setting in Outlook Express, Tools, Options, General has “When starting go directly to my inbox folder” unchecked, or Outlook will fire up.

Z

zeke121

Try using msconfig. Type msconfig in the Run dialog, and select the startup tab. Make sure Outlook Express isn't in that list. If it is, clear it! Also make sure the "Hide Microsoft Programs" box is NOT checked.
Hope that helps!!!

H

Herkalees

Originally posted by zeke121
Try using msconfig. Type msconfig in the Run dialog, and select the startup tab. Make sure Outlook Express isn't in that list. If it is, clear it! Also make sure the "Hide Microsoft Programs" box is NOT checked.
Hope that helps!!!
I doubt that would do it, because MSCONFIG stops things from starting when the computer boots up.

I wonder if there is some tie-in between Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, somewhere within the settings of either of the two programs...

Now that I think of it, MSCONFIG may contain some sorta Outlook Express file, that starts when the computer boots up, and waits for the user to connect to the internet, before then "telling" Outlook Express to open up...

...which makes me begin to think the word "virus", possibly wanting to e-mail people on it's own?? I'm sure I'm wrong here, but my brain likes to imagine.

Good luck finding a solution my man!

PurplePatch

OSNN Junior Addict
Close enough. It turned out to be an obscure setting in his ISP software (BTOpenworld). It's not only AOL that can f@#~ up your puter. Many Thanks for all the replies guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies