OSX Install {Error Message}

Techno Child

web{designer}
Hey guys,

As many of you know, one of my crapmacs has been sick with a broken ATA/IDE cable. I finally got my new cable in the mail yesterday, and I am ready to reinstal Panther 10.2.

During the install, right after getting to the window that shows the progress, it goes to a black screen and prints {the installer has unexpectedly quit due to an unexpected error, exit code 0.} at the top.

There are only a few issues like this disscussed online, and none of them have found solutions, so I'm hoping I will get this fixed.

I'm thinking that it's probably the ram, as it may have been burnt during the last storm we had(with quite a few surges), and I also had to reset PRAM with command+option+p+r for it to even recognize the hd.

Any ideas?

-tc

Sorry, no idea. If you've already done some researching online then I bet you'll have to go at it on your own. RAM sounds like a good place to start, though. Good luck. :)

well, I exchanged the ram with my other crapmac and it has not encountered any problems yet. Maybe it just didn't like the stick of ram it had for the last few YEARS any more...

Funny thing though is that the "defective" ram that I put into the second crapmac allows the unit to powerup as usual?! -Does it take more memory to install an OS than to run it?

-tc

Ok, it works... the only thing is that every time I turn it on, the screensize of the boot screen is different. It ranges in sizes from the icon being 1cm across to almost 6 cm across?! Any Ideas?

I hope that's not a sign of my video card or the mobo burning out :(

to be tongue-in-cheek about it: buy a pc it just works :D

To be sensible about it. Unix based OS's are much more sensitive to flaky hardware adn are much more likely to spot you a falty ram moduile, faulty disk or faulty disk controller than windows on a pc.

OS X is unix based, so you'd probably want to place the ream module you swapped with your other mac.

Not much help on the icon chaning size but I'd look at video card (if its not onboard) or screen. Beyond that you'd need to ask a mac person.

LordOfLA said:
to be tongue-in-cheek about it: buy a pc it just works :D

There is a reason why he calls it a crapmac :p

Not much help on the icon chaning size but I'd look at video card (if its not onboard) or screen. Beyond that you'd need to ask a mac person.

I don't know much about the error, but I am wondering what icon he is talking about.

All I know is that if the rest of the system still works fine, then it is just a glitch, otherwise it mightbe showing some signs of soon being a deadMac :p

lordofla said:
to be tongue-in-cheek about it: buy a pc it just works

don't get me started on m$:dead:

x-istence said:
I don't know much about the error, but I am wondering what icon he is talking about.

it was the startup icon i'm talking about.... the apple? lol...

anyways. there is a really strange fix to this... it doesn't make any sense at all,

I have restarted it several times and every time, the startup apple changed in size, and I was thinking that my little 128mb ati rage has started it's dying routine.

During the time that I opened up the case to see if it was connected via pci or the longer version of pci, I noticed that the hard drive jumper was set to slave... I knew that wasn't right, so I took the jumper out alltogether (which set it to master, no slave present)... I closed the case and restarted because I didn't have enought time to try another video card out, and it was normal sized...

Restarted about 8 times since then installing garbage, and it didn't once change size- now tell me that this has absolutely nothing to do with the hd jumpers?!? :laugh:

-tc

Ehm, it has nothing to do with harddrive jumpers. Sounds like maybe you pushed the graphics card in a bit further and it worked :p

you know, i just thought of that lol...

maybe I did...But, I'm pretty sure I didn't touch the video card. Maybe when I opened the side panel it bumped it into place...

Anyways... this thread can be ended now. I fixed the problem, and if anyone else has the same issue then look no further, because google finds nothing about this--

Crapmacs don't like it when you feed them the same stick of ram more than a few years :p exchange the ram, and BAM it works

thanks for the input guys :)

-tc

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back